Correcting grayscale on a Sony 27FS120

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kevin Robinson, Feb 17, 2005.

1. Kevin Robinson

So- while my Loewe's on the blink (see previous post), I'm borrowing a new Sony 27FS120 from a friend of mine. Being used to the Loewe's picture quality, I was really appalled at the Sony's picture. My friend agreed to let me try to get a better picture out of it while I was using it. After adjusting it using the VIDEO ESSENTIALS disc (including switching to Movie mode, adjusting brightness and picture controls, and turning off all the sharpness options), I'm still not satisfied with the picture. Basically, it seems to have a redish tint to all shadows and dark areas. This is easily seen in dark scenes on a DVD- there are no true blacks- all blacks and shadows have the redish tint to them. Black and White movies are horrible, they look sepia. True, I have the color temperature at Warm, but Neutral makes B&W images look slightly pink, and Cool has too much blue. None of these color temperature settings give me true B&W.
    I don't believe this is red push, since reducing the color control doesn't affect the red of the B&W image. So -a few questions:
    1) Is there an easy fix for this in the service menu? I don't want to screw up my friend's set and I don't want to spring for an ISF calibration for a set I don't own, but this grayscale is driving me nuts!
    2) Is this typical of Sony? I was looking at buying the 34XBR960 if my Loewe is not repairable. Is this what I can expect out of the box?
    Thanks for any input.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Just visit the SM and adjust the r/g/b cuts ...

Decrease the rcut a few digits and see what happens ... may have to boost brightness ...

Conversely ... boost BCUT and gcut in a 2:1 ratio to get similar result.

regards

3. Kevin Robinson

Thanks Michael! While I'm sure it's not exact, I'm at least getting some real black and white images out of the television. No more red!
    Pretty easy to do as well.