What's new

Corrected pressing of Rififi available. (1 Viewer)

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I just got this email:
Dear Sir or Madam,
The second printing of RIFIFI has arrived. To exchange your faulty
copy for the new, corrected DVD, please send your RIFIFI disc to the
following address:
The Criterion Collection
210 E 52 Street, 5th floor
New York, NY 10022
Attn: Jon Mulvaney
As soon as we receive your disc we will mail a replacement to you.
Please be sure to include your mailing address with the DVD. We
apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Thank you for your patience and your commitment to The Criterion Collection.
Best,
JM

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Please enlighten me - what is wrong with the previous pressing? A search returned nothing, and I own this DVD.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
An audio sync error that is mainly noticeable during the hiest. Watch the scene where the hammer meets the chisel.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Why did you get this e-mail? Just curious what the steps are for the rest of us that have this DVD.
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
This title is on my wish list. Does anyone know how to tell the difference between the two pressings by looking at the packaging?
------------------
http://darius.mobius-soft.com/~andrea/ht/

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if they allow walk ins -- I'd much rather go over there than deal with the mail. Plus, I'd get to check the place out :)
Do we need to contact Criterion individually, or will they just exchange all Rififi disks? I guess a contact number would be helpfull.
Ted

Mick Wright

Second Unit
quote: Why did you get this e-mail? Just curious what the steps are for the rest of us that have this DVD.[/quote]
I contacted them inquiring about when the corrected pressings would be available. Most likely all you have to do is send your defective disc to the address above.
[Edited last by Mick Wright on August 14, 2001 at 04:04 PM]

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm willing to place money that the way to tell them apart is the phrase "Second Pressing" on the back cover.
Anyone care to take me up?
biggrin.gif

[Edited last by Jon Robertson on August 14, 2001 at 08:49 PM]

Anyone know if we're meant to send the disc in its case, or if we can send just the disc? I'm assuming the case unless I hear otherwise...thanks!

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Anyone know if we're meant to send the disc in its case, or if we can send just the disc?
I've e-mailed Mr. Mulvaney asking this question, but haven't gotten a response yet. Anyone else know the answer?
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
I got a reply today about whether to send the disc with or without the case.
Dear Adrian,
Whatever you prefer.
Thanks,
JM
So I guess it doesn't matter. I see no reason to send the case, so I guess it's just the DVD which can be shipped for 34 cents. (At least RentMyDVD does it that way!)
------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Alex Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
did the 'corrected' seven samurai disc have second pressing on it? just curious, i do own the first, first pressing.. i didn't think it changed there.
i did not pick up rififi yet, so once the corrected versions are in hand by some of you, please be sure to post if there are any outward differences.
many thanks,
a
------------------
visit neverville
[Edited last by Alex Johnson on August 20, 2001 at 07:09 PM]

Andrea W

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Andrea Whitlock
The "corrected" (2nd) Seven Samurai did not say second pressing. But there were other visual clues to differentiate the two pressings: the location of the UPC, the running time, the region 1 logo, etc. There's more info in this thread:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum15/HTML/028829.html
[Edited last by Andrea W on August 20, 2001 at 07:22 PM]

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
Does someone have a list of players that exhibit this audio sync problem ? I have watched this movie with its French track on my Panasonic player, and I don't remember coming across any audio sync issues ...

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Interestingly (or not), both copies available at my local Fry's have stickers warning potential buyers that the disc has been returned and possibly opened. I wonder if the original purchasers returned it because of the sync problem. In any case, I'm now afraid to order it on-line. I'm sure getting Criterion to swap discs wouldn't be too difficult, but I'd rather get the correct version the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks