What's new

Corrected in-room response for my dual Maelstrom Sonotubes, open & closed Port Valves (1 Viewer)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I have posted some graphs for the final room response of my Maelstrom Sonosubs, for both Vented (Port Valves open) and sealed (Port Valves closed). There amazingly similar after the BFD is engaged, but they were night and day different before correction.

Somebody over at Audio Karma mentioned that using very narrow Q filters have a ringing side effect during complex signals like music, can anyone corroborate this with experience, and how would you know if there was ringing at cretin frequencies while playing music?

So far I've broken all the rules about over Equalizing but I can't find any side effects, am I missing something?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...941#post299941

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike,

Do you mean rules like "always cut, never boost," "don't apply drastic amounts of EQ," etc.? If I had caught one of your posts inquiring about that, I would have let you know most of them are hogwash - but you've already figured that out. Not that the "rules of equalization" don't have merit; they do. They just don't apply to EQing subs.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Thanks Wayne, I value your opinion after reading many of your excellent responses on many threads.

Yes, I have made boosts of 12db, used all 12 filters, done the broad Q boost at low frequencies, all the stuff I have been told is a major no-no. But my final measurements after correction have shown no ill effects, nor do my ears. All I know is now it's far smother in the lower registers, where before correction there were many audible irregularities, at this point I am ready to proclaim a Digital PEQ the best $115 tweak I've ever found. I would have never thought to use a piece of equipment like the BFD if it wasn't for this forum, thanks guys and thanks Wayne for your insight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks