Correct sub hookup?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Curt Badry, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Curt Badry

Curt Badry Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony SA-W305 Active sub. Not sure if anyone is familiar with it. It's rated at 45w (seems kinda low). My questions regards hookup. I was reading the newbie section on sub hookup and it gives you three ways to hook up a sub. Mine is hooked up in none of these ways. I have a Yamaha RXV-495 reciever DD 5.1 with Subout(lfe). I have a Monster interconnect 100 cable running to my sub, and connected to the line in on my sub. Is this the correct way for me to go. Will i get better (louder bass) connecting it another way. My sub also has line out, L&R speaker and two more L&R push pin connectors. I'm not sure if they are for two other speakers, or if i'm suppose to connect my sub to these L&R connectors via a y cable. It also has level control, cut off freq of 50hz to 200hz, and a phase button- normal & reverse.
    Any suggestions.

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Sounds like it's hooked up fine. The speaker jacks are for a high-level cross-over if you didn't have an LFE output on your receiver,which you do. I gonna guess the crossover will only effect the high-level input but I wouldn't know about that model. Either way it would be best to set it to 80hz just in case, playing frequencies higher than that starts makes the sub localizable(you can hear where it's at) instead of omni-directional. Level control should be set to point where it blends in with the speakers how you would prefer. This would best be done with an SPL meter and test tones, if you don't have that, then try your best by ear.