Correct Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by KrishnaS, May 16, 2004.

1. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered my new receiver and DVD player and have a ton of questions before I begin setting up my new HT. It's been about 5 years since I set up my last set of speakers and I'm a little rusty.

I will be running the Energy Take 5 speakers with the sub. I will be picking up some adjustable speaker stands this week.

The questions

1. Center Speaker - sits on top of the TV. Right?

2. Front Speakers - 3 feet to the right and left of the TV with the tweeters at ear level from the viewing position. Right?

3. Back Speakers - directly across the front speakers 3 feet behind the listening position, 3 feet above the listening position.

Does that sound right?

K

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

That will certainly work well. There are several variations on it, and very few people have the option of doing things ideally. If possible, the 3 front speakers should all be at the same height, but once again, this is an ideal that most don't worry too much about. Are you surrounds direct or bi/di-poles? If they are bi/di-poles my understanding is that the best placement would be directly to the sides of the listening area, still a couple feet above the ear.

3. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Second Unit

Also if placing the center on top of the TV is not an option, putting it directly below on a shelf works too.

4. KrishnaS

No my surrounds are direct. The center will easily fit above the TV no problems there. Ok another question - I know the fronts have to be "toed in" to angle toward the listening area. Do the backs need to be toed in too or do they just face straight ahead?

5. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

how many surrounds do you have? i have 3 in my system, the rear center faces the tv, and the L+R rears face eachother. i have expirmented with many different setups and this sounds best to me.

Johnny

6. KrishnaS

I have two surrounds. So you're saying I should keep them about 3 feet behind the listening position, about 3 feet on each side of the listening position and FACING each other?? That seems odd. I would think that facing the front or slightly toed in would be better.

What is the official Dolby recomendation on surrounds?

7. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

8. KrishnaS

Thanks!

9. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

no problem, good luck.

what you may want to do is find a way of temporarily mounting the speakers, so you can move them around and try different locations before you permanatly put them up there. learn from my mistake, i have holes all over my walls from moving them constantly.

Johnny

10. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Just as important as setup is calibration. Don't forget about the calibration.

11. KrishnaS

Mine won't be wall mounted. I'm going to have my fronts and my rears on adjustable stands. So I can play with them all I want to get the correct placement. Lee can you ellaborate on calibaeration? My HK 525 has something called EZ Setup whre the remote has a built in micropohone to caliberate the speakers. Or do you mean with a Radio Shack SPL meter and Video Essentials?

Check this link out http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Technol...rTechSheet.pdf

12. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Yes, a disk and SPL meter. The EZ set up is essentially the same thing but may not be as accurate. I would get a disk and meter to double check the levels. Here is a good post in the primer on how to do the calibration.

Calibration