Correct Set-Up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Purnell, Dec 19, 2001.

1. John Purnell

John Purnell Auditioning

Hi everybody. I have recently put together my new basic system. I got the Toshiba 42H81 for viewing, a Pioneer Elite VSX-35TX, Panasonic RP56 (I'm pretty sure thats the number $245 cost, and Boston Accoustics Satelite system (5.1). Anyway I have a 3 year old Dish reciever (no digital out), I have S-video to the Pioneer and then to the TV, I also have component to the TV so I don't have to have the reciever on all the time. Am I doing this incorectly? I thought I read some place that I should have the signal from the dish into the TV, TV to the reciever to get the best signal. The sound is clear but I don't really hear the effects of right to left, left to right, etc... Any help on proper set-up would be great!!![​IMG]

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

Hi John,

To get the most direct, unaltered video signal, you should go direct from the source to the TV.

It is much more convenient to run S video from the DVD and DSS to the receiver, and then 1 s video from the receiver to the TV. This allows the receiver to do the switching rather than having to switch inputs on the tv.

You should also run component video from the DVD player to the TV so you can utilize the progressive scan feature.

You will have to switch inputs on the tv to the component input to watch in progressive scan. But having the S video also will at least give a picture both ways which is nice if you have other HT challenged people using the equipment.

For audio, you should use the digital connection from the DVD player to the reciever. Make sure the menu settings are set to Dolby Digital or DTS, not PCM. You should get a light on the receiver that says "DTS" or "dolby digital" or something like that when you are getting a digital signal from the DVD player.

For DSS, you will have to just use an analog connection. The best you will get is dolby pro logic (or pro logic II if your receiver handles that).

Hope that helps.

3. John Purnell

John Purnell Auditioning

Thanks Brian, The DVD player has only a digital optical, but I could of sworn it said to make sure PCM is on. The video right now (before I get the AVIA disc) is not bad. I have component from the DVD to the Reciever and then to the TV, and also an analog connection (that is what the Pioneer manual suggests). So I have only one S-video in(from the DSS) then that goes to the TV, but to clarify I am also running a regular analog connection into input of the TV(audio and video) so I don't have to have the reciever on. I can hear sound from all five speakers it is just that I really don't hear the surrond part ( or would I especially if the source is from the DSS?).

Second, for the Pioneer it says I need to tell whic hsystem is digital. The DVD clearly is but would the DSS be, especially if it is connected using S-video. If so I need to go back into system set-up and tell it that ( I currently have it analog).

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

When the receiver asks which connection is digital, it is referring to audio, not video. Therefore DSS is analog and DVD is digital (audio).

In my opinion, it would be a simpler connection on the video side to run an s video from the DSS and DVD player to the reciever and then s video to the tv from the receiver. Then run the component video from the dvd player directly to the tv. There is no reason to even use an analog (RCA) connection for video if you have s video/component video.

PCM is only 2 channel and should be OFF when watching DVD's encoded with 5.1 sound.

DSS is an analog audio signal and is not 5.1 so the separation between speakers isn't all that great.

Try it with a DVD (pearl harbor is a good one) to make sure you are getting 5.1 sound.

5. John Purnell

John Purnell Auditioning

Thanks I'll giver it a try tonight.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

John - thats your idea of a "basic" system!!?? It's pretty good stuff if you ask me. All well-respected brands and models.

I agree with Brian - run SVideo from everything into the receiver will make the system easy to use, AND run the component cables from DVD to TV for the better picture.

The only sub-standard peice of equipment is the old DSS receiver. Dish was offering a good upgrade price on it's PVR501 receiver/recorder. (It will change the way you watch TV). It will also give you the digital & analog output.

Note: running digital from the DSS to the receiver works for watching sound. But when I tried to archive something onto the VCR - no sound. The receiver DOES convert to analog for it's speakers, but does NOT convert to analog when passing through to the VCR. So keep those analog cables around for the DSS->VCR connection.

Hope this helps.