Correct order for new install of video card and sound card?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

I'm upgrading my video card (from a GeForce to a Radeon) and sound card (from a DeltaDio 24/96 to a Delta 410) in my HTPC. I'm also considering doing a fresh install of Windows 2000 and all of my HTPC software.
    My question concerns the correct order for installing the hardware and software:
    • Should I install the hardware and then reinstall the OS?
    • Or reinstall the OS and then each piece of hardware?
    • When should I reformat the boot drive? Or should I do it at all?
    • What is the proper sequence for installing drivers?
    My inclination is to backup the entire boot drive using Partition Magic; reformat the boot drive; replace the hardware; reinstall the OS with the new hardware in place; and update the drivers as prompted when Windows recognizes the hardware. One concern is the video card -- I don't want to be stuck without video during the installation process.
    Information on my configuration can be found here.
    Thanks,
    Ken

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Your plan sounds good Ken and is probably the route I'd take unless there were any particular issues.

Windows 2000 is very good at detecting hardware during installation. If you run into problems, then would be the time to think about step-by-step hardware installs.

If the video card is plugged in and working you'll get a basic VGA display during the installation process. All cards have to do this.

Windows may detect and install it's own drivers later, but I think the Radeon range came out some time after 2K so it'll probably be down to you to install the drivers once Windows is up and running.

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I just did a PC assembly and 2000 install for a friend (dual PIII DV-editing machine), and I installed all the hardware, and did the install. First thing, had to install the onboard RAID driver, then onto a clean 2000 install. Then, 2000 SP2, then the video, sound, and capture card drivers, then a Via 4-in-1 update. It went quite smoothly, actually.
    I've done it both ways in the past, and for 2000 and XP, having all the hardware in the tool from the start seemed to work the best. Fewer conflicts that way. That's my limited experience, strictly from a hobbyist's point of view.
    Todd
    P.S. Are you looking to get rid of that 24/96? If so, drop me an email.[​IMG]

4. Thom B

Thom B Stunt Coordinator

5. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Thanks to all for the great advice. It's why I like this forum! [​IMG]
    - Ken