Correct aspect ratio on Mitsubishi WS55511?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Terry Flink, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Since my screen is 1.78:1 (16x9) I would expect movies with a wider aspect ratio to have black bars on top/bottom. While watching Cast Away (2:35:1 Enhanced for Widescreen) the picture filled the screen. I checked the DVD menu and there is no selection for alternate aspect ratios. I have a Sony DVP7700 set for 16:9 in the setup menu and the picture format selected on my WS55511 is 480i Standard. I have also observed 1.85:1 movies fill the screen as well although I would expect a hint of letterboxing. Since I moved from a Sony 36" 4:3 where everything was letterboxed, I am wonderinging is this normal. If so can I watch movies like Cast Away in the normal aspect ratio? I should also note some movies do seem to display in the correct ratio....just can't figure out the rhyme or reason to it.

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Cast Away is mislabeled. The film is 1.85:1, and that's how it was shown in theaters.

The difference between 1.78:1 and 1.85:1 is so small that, on most widescreen sets, it's hidden by overscan.

M.

3. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

Not the first time a DVD is mislabeled...thanks for the input!