What's new

Coronavirus makes Universal go day and date for home starting friday! (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Ok let me throw this at you - what would you do if Fandango offered you $10 for a movie ticket or $20-25 for a movie ticket plus digital copy on FandangoNow?

I'd usually want it on disc, not just digital. I suppose that could be another $5 or so higher tier.

_Man_

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Even if they actually do it, they'll certainly give up and play Fast And The Furious next year.

Don't forget AMC owns the Odeon chain in the UK, and Universal is releasing the James Bond movie there in November...

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
While I have a nice system at home the one thing that I am missing is a large projection screen. So to pay $20 to rent a first run movie at home is not something I am very interested in doing. I see $20 to rent a first run movie at home to be more than I would want to do. There is still something to be said about seeing a movie in a theater even if your home theater at home is really nice.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It would have to be more than just a "survey", for this to be viable.

The proof in the pudding, is if Comcast/Universal admits this was indeed the case by revenue. (Basically if it is disclosed in their annual sec filings).

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
It would have to be more than just a "survey", for this to be viable.

The proof in the pudding, is if Comcast/Universal admits this was indeed the case by revenue. (Basically if it is disclosed in their annual sec filings).

You've lost me. What numbers would you like to see from Comcast/Universal?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
10K sec filings are audited. Most other info is usually not.

Basically if the C-level executives are lying on their audited sec statements, they can be convicted and possibly serve prison time.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
10K sec filings are audited. Most other info is usually not.

Basically if the C-level executives are lying on their audited sec statements, they can be convicted and possibly serve prison time.

???????

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I think the question...er...in question is why do you need any data from Comcast? What will it prove one way or the other? That it's true (or false) that 70% of consumers will watch a new movie at home via a streaming or on-demand platform? Whether it's true or not doesn't affect what decision I would make for any movie they offer, so it doesn't matter how many people would do it or not.

I find the pricing issue strange. The original question stated "If costs are roughly the same..." but then they go on to ask about different "reasonable" prices. Wouldn't it depend on how many people are watching from home? If a given movie was priced at $10, and I watched it by myself, it would be in line with what I would pay in a theater at a matinee showing. If both my wife and I watched it, it would be a bargain. If the price was $20, it would be too high if it was just me, but reasonable if it was both of us. And it would be different still if we had kids.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I think the question...er...in question is why do you need any data from Comcast? What will it prove one way or the other?

This is where I'm confused, too. What does Comcast/Universal have to do with the survey and what data would they have that would effect the validity of its results?

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If Comcast says something on the record (ie. under oath) about their Universal divison, it can materially affect their stock price and is a huge signal they acknowledge a drastic change in their business.

I think of it as the difference between saying someting under oath under penalty of perjury, compared to saying something where there is no penalty for being misleading (or lying).

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If Comcast says something on the record (ie. under oath) about their Universal divison, it can materially affect their stock price and is a huge signal they acknowledge a drastic change in their business.

I think of it as the difference between saying someting under oath under penalty of perjury, compared to saying something where there is no penalty for being misleading (or lying).

True, as far as it goes. I think people are confused about what that has to do with anyone deciding to watch a movie at home via streaming/on-demand instead of at the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks