Corner cabinet to hide the SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Due N, Aug 10, 2001.

1. Due N

Due N Extra

I'm thinking of building a corner cabinet to hide my twin SVS 20-39. It'll look like a armoire without feet. Just sits directly on the floor. When I use it, I can just open the slide-in doors to expose the SVS. The cabinet will have some 6-inch clearance for the top-port. When not in use, I can just close the doors to hide it.
    Is this a bad idea?

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I wouldn't say it's a bad idea....it'd actually be interesting to see how it would work.
    The initial problems I see with is is vibration. If this is a wood cabinet with only 6 inches of clearance at the top, I'd think you're going to have some MAJOR vibration problems.
    My single SVS manages to rattle my ceiling 4 feet above the port. I can only imagine the rattles you'll have with the top of the cabinet basically sitting on top of the sub.
    This would be compounded by it being made of wood, in which case the rattles will only get worse with time, and any fixes you apply once you notice rattling will only vibrate away given enough time.
    Personally, if you feel you need to hide your equipment, I'd suggest some kind of blind that simply hides them from view instead of completly encloses them.

3. David Head

David Head Second Unit

How about using a room divider like one of these that can be removed easily when watching a movie?
    David
    [Edited last by David Head on August 10, 2001 at 12:00 PM]

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Why would you want to hide such a nice (granted large) piece of gear?
    I like the room divider idea.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)

5. Due N

Due N Extra

Mike, a "top-less" cabinet would take care of the vibration problem, wouldn't it? Then, the cabinet will just be like a screen/room divider with doors. What do you think? Any drawback in that?
    The reason I'm looking to do this is because of consideration for the SO. [​IMG] I like the room divider idea, also. Thanks for the suggestions. I'd like to go with a built-in look. If I can't, then I'll explore the room divider option.
    Thanks guys.

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Yeah....leaving the top off would probably take alot of the vibration out of it, but I don't know if it would solve the problem.
    It would cut out the port as a source of vibration....but I still think you might have some problems just having a freestanding unit that close to the thing.
    In some cases, I can hear the studs in my wall vibrating in the corner where my SVS is. Granted in the older part of my house this wouldn't suprise me, but I built the walls in the HT, so I know they were built above and beyond standards. Of course if I knew when I built it that SVS would come around I might have done things differently!
    Anyway, before you go to the trouble of building this, you might experiment with placing some piece of furniture close to your sub to see if it causes any vibrations.
    Not a very scientific test, but it might give you an idea.
    Too, if you decide to do that, make sure you build the heck out of it. Nail it, screw it, glue it and weigh the thing down so it can't shake on the floor.

7. John Garcia

John
    How about a cabinet that has either 3 sides and no top, OR 4 sides, no top and one side with acoustic knit to allow the port to move air out.
    Also - 2 sides with mesh or perforated materal to allow air to pass through - that could be painted to match.... the possibilities are endless...
    Give me dimensions, I'll send you drawings....
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 10, 2001 at 03:14 PM]

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Hey...that might work.
    Build the thing with no top and instead of having doors over the front (which might also be a big source of rattles....loose moving parts tend to be noisy) cover the opening with some kind of acoustic material (speaker grille cloth etc.)
    You could even have the front slotted or with some sort of design in it to keep it from looking like another big speaker.

9. Scott Gaffney

so basically make a cylindrical SVS look like a typical big black rectangular speaker?
    sdg
    ------------------

10. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Yeah. But you do get your choice of color. [​IMG]

11. John Garcia

John

12. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

13. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

John,
    It doesn't really have to be a speaker looking box.....just because there's acoustic material across the front (instead of doors) doesn't mean that the cabinet can't continue up like a corner cabinet....even have shelves futher up above the subs (just make sure you nail you nic-nacs down!)
    I wasn't suggesting a rectangular enclosure the size of the SVS with speaker grille across the front......with a little creativity, something should be able to be done that'll satisfy the lady, [and] hide the fact that there are huge speakers in the corner.
    The suggestion about the fabric cover was to keep from having doors to cause vibrations while in use.

14. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Try a fake Ficus tree. I have my 20-39cs in the corner and a ficus tree in front. My wife did not notice it until I pointed it out.
    ------------------