Cornel Wilde's THE NAKED PREY

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Richard--W, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Is Cornel Wilde's THE NAKED PREY on DVD in Europe or Asia?

Who owns the rights to this great action film.

AMC used to air a new print in widescreen during its brief heyday. Wish now I'd taped it.

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Unfortunately, no news on a DVD release, Richard. [​IMG]

I have a letterboxed 2.35:1 DVD-r of Wilde's relentlessly grim, humourless, depresssing, campy 1970 ecological gem, No Blade of Grass - a great companion piece to Soylent Green. Beach Red was released by MGM last year and is one of the strangest and most underappreciated American WWII films.

But The Naked Prey is his best film and has been one of the most requested films for Laserdisc and now DVD release. Paramount distributed the film theatrically in 1966 and on VHS in 1988.

However, Sven Persson Films (based in South Africa) and Theodora Productions (Cornel Wilde's private productiuon company) co-produced the film and the film was owned exclusively by Wilde and will now be part of his Estate. However, Beach Red was produced solely by Theodora Productions and distributed by United Artists, so either MGM owned it as part of their UA library, or they licensed it from Wilde's Estate.

No Blade of Grass was a solo (low budget) production by Theodora Productions and was distributed theatrically by MGM in 1970 and on pan-and-scan VHS in 1987.

Cornel Wilde died on 16 October 1989, aged 74 of leukemia.

Amazon's Marketplace have used copies of the VHS starting at $27.95: Click here

It's a fantastic film; the pace is like lighting. If Paramount own the rights, then they should get this out along with Robinson Crusoe on Mars and they'll make a decent amount of money, as far as catalogue sales go. Hey, we go a great edition of Danger: Diabolik for less than $10, so you never know.

I hope I was of help, Richard.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Latitude re-released the soundtrack on CD in February of 2005:
    Click here, if your interested, folks.

4. ScottFH

ScottFH Stunt Coordinator

Thread resurrection:

Anyone have any news bits "if/when DVD release" on Cornel Wilde's superior, harrowing African adventure?

Please... anyone?

This is definitely something of a lost gem.

5. RandallV

RandallV Second Unit

Hear, hear! Where is this film? I don't want another copy of STAND BY ME, I want THE NAKED PREY! :)

6. David_B_K

David_B_K Advanced Member

David
    I'll bump this, and add that I would also like to see Wilde's Sword of Lancelot get a good release as well as The Naked Prey. The Wilde one was an underappreciated filmmaker, IMHO.

7. Jeff Rosen

Jeff Rosen Extra

Naked Prey is owned by MGM/ United Artists. It has played on TCM. The UA titles are now going out through Fox and they seem to have stepped up releasing their older library titles. Naked Prey is still not on any upcoming release lists.

8. ScottFH

ScottFH Stunt Coordinator

On the theory that the squeaky wheel gets the grease, another bump/request for a DVD release of "the best Tarzan movie that isn't a Tarzan movie" (at least, that's one of the ways I've always thought about it).

Anyone who hasn't seen this fine film is missing out on an excellent piece of story-telling.

As well, those who have seen it only in 4:3 have missed much...

And how about "Sword of Lancelot", too, while we're at it?

More Cornel Wilde, please.

9. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

The imdb still lists THE NAKED PREY as being owned by Paramount. It would make a worthy license out to Criterion after ACE IN THE HOLE. The opening 10 minutes of SERAPHIM FALLS suggests (promisingly) that it's going to be another NAKED PREY, but it quickly becomes verbose, improbable, and over-populated ending up on a desert where everybody runs into somebody else.

10. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    The last 40 minutes of APOCALYPTO is very much like THE NAKED PREY relocated to the Mexican jungle.

THE NAKED PREY is one of my top R1 DVD wants (see my signature list below? [​IMG] ), and has been for years. Please, Paramount/Criterion, please...

11. Craig99

Craig99 Extra

I liked this film so much after seeing it in a theater as a kid, I bought the comic book of the movie! Gotta love that ending when the two main antagonists salute each other.
    Of course, the comic is long gone; so is my taped from AMC copy. Can't wait for the DVD!

12. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

This film did make to laser disc, albeit in a panned-and-scanned format. It really needs widescreen - and I really want it also, except I'll probably never watch the first part again (not because it's bad, but because it bothers me).

13. Brent Avery

Brent Avery Supporting Actor

Since this title is very close to it's release date ( Jan.15 ) I will gladly spend the extra money on this film. Unfortunate for one individual on Amazon that was waiting for this title to arrive on dvd and would not bring himself to pay for the higher price of a Criterion. He will be missing out but I can understand his reasoning. I suppose when you spend money on HD and BD discs like myself it does not seem very expensive. I'd hate to watch my vhs tape of this movie after viewing it at 2:35 and restored!

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.

you know many people havent seen this due to it not being on dvd?