Corman Films

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bradley-E, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Bradley-E

Bradley-E Screenwriter

Corman Films To Be Distributed on DVD by Disney

B-movie king Roger Corman has signed a distribution deal with Disney that will bring his library of more than 400 films to DVD at the mass-market level. He had previously been selling them to retailers on his own. Some of the films included in the collection include the low-budget classics The Little Shop of Horrors, Rock and Roll High School, Death Race 2000, The Intruder, Grand Theft Auto, and Cry Baby Killer. In a statement, Bob Chapek, head of Disney's Buena Vista Home Entertainment, said, "Corman's avant-garde films have undoubtedly influenced Hollywood filmmaking and cultivated generations of classic genre film fans, so we're elated to bring this legendary film library to existing fans and new audiences alike."

2. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

I guess that's why the New-Concorde website disappeared. I was collecting all of the "New Concorde Swords and Scorcery Collection", and had noticed some had went out of print.

3. Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson Screenwriter

Jeffrey Nelson
    Hopefully this means that we'll finally get a decent DVD release of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS The only good video release I found was the old Vestron VHS release, from a good quality 35mm print with complete opening credits including the Filmgroup logo.

I'd also like a watchable version of THE TERROR.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I have the previous OOP Corman Collection which has Rock N Roll Highschool, Piranha, Death Race 2000, etc. and it's a very good set in my opinion..

5. eric tengren

eric tengren Stunt Coordinator

yeah me too . but its full frame. bring on BLOODY MAMA!

6. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

BLOODY MAMA is a AIP film, Arkoff, and MGM (now Sony) controls it.

7. Scott Temple

Scott Temple Supporting Actor

I hope they put out a new edition of Piranha (1978) with a 16x9 enhanced transfer. A few months ago I saw the film airing on the Independent Film Channel and it was being presented letterboxed, either at 1.78:1 or 1.85:1. It looked great too.

8. Joe:C

Joe:C Second Unit

Humanoids from the Deep was also on IFC a few weeks ago in widescreen. Maybe some of the new Corman dvds will be upgrades.

9. AndrewWickliffe

AndrewWickliffe Second Unit

I've been wanting to see Jackson County Jail OAR for years.

Good news, this

10. walter o

well let's hope but remember it was paramount/viacom who supplied the widescreen prints for cable, as they have the cable tv rights only, and since this is Disney here, and I think Marc Edward can confirm this, as with the way they handled the ABC library, they used old non anamorphic and fullscreen masters on those when they licensed it to MGM, so I would be cautious about Disney, as they might just use the old masters Corman used.

11. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Does this mean that Disney now owns the DVD distibution rights to the "Stripped To Kill" movies? For that matter, will they also get Anchor Bay's New World Entertainment titles?

If they end up getting the New World titles as well, that means that they would have DVD distribution rights to such family-friendly fare as "Reform School Girls", "Death Before Dishonor" and "Dead Heat".[​IMG]

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

This could get interesting.

12. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

I would guess that this deal only covers those New World titles that were produced while Corman actually owned the company (that is, before he sold it in 1983).

DJ

13. walter o

The New World that anchor bay controls basially had nothing to do with corman at all, they basically bought the "name" and not the library of his,as the old new world stuff, corman kept, and put it under his new horizon/concorde/califilms library, so I guess the answer is no.

14. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

This film isn't part of the deal but I would love to see a
    release of Corman's St Valentine's Day Massacre.This is my favorite of Corman's gangster films.

15. JerryKILL

JerryKILL Stunt Coordinator

Since Disney has shown little respect for its own vintage live-action catalog with a mostly full-frame, non remastered history, I fear we will see nothing more than a retread of the same old transfers. I think Disney should remember that New Concorde was a budget label, and most of those discs can be found at or near the $5 mark, even less on the used market. So, it makes no business sense at all to re-release them without improvements (OAR/anamorphic). I know I won't be buying any of them otherwise. So come on Disney, do the right thing and surprise me, I want so much to give you my money.

16. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Corman...Disney? Does anyone else think this relationship is just plain weird????[​IMG]

17. JerryKILL

JerryKILL Stunt Coordinator

Davis DVD lists these as the first 3 Buena Vista releases from the Roger Corman deal: Rock N Roll High School: Special Edition (Dec 6); Big Bad Mama (Dec 13); Death Race 2000: Special Edition (Dec 13).

DVD Planet also lists Big Bad Mama as a "Special Edition". I could not find specs anywhere. Hopefully "Special Edition" equates to anamorphic widescreen, which will be a vast improvement over the old New Concorde full screen releases. I'm hoping Suburbia is next in the pipeline, went to buy it the other day, and OOP everywhere. eBay prices already creeping over $20, I would not be surprised if the other New Concorde releases start following suit.

18. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'll definitely pick up Rock 'n' Roll Highschool if the pq is improved. Possibly Death Race as well and I'll just end up swapping discs with the ones in my current box since I think they look quite good and the covers are all the original poster art. I want to keep them all packaged together.

19. JiM T

JiM T Stunt Coordinator

Just read on DavisDVD that the first wave of Buena Vista Corman titles will all be full screen. I've been waiting and waiting for widescreen versions of some of these films ("Death Race 2000" and "Rock N' Roll High School" in particular). I was under the impression that the OARs were are all widescreen... am I wrong?

I was SO hoping that these DVDs were going to be the ones I've been waiting for.

JiM T

20. Porfirio

Porfirio Second Unit

I think the 2003 release of Rock N' Roll was in matted widescreen. Although I too prefere OAR (and anamporphic WS), hopefully the Disney release will at least be the same as the 2003 release.