What's new

Cordless Drill: Best Battery Longevity? (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I am tired of buying cheap cordless drill combos only to have the batterys go out faster than the tools do! I curently have 2 Ryobi combo kits with 4 bad batterys :angry: I really only use my stuff on weekends at min but when I want to use it I want it to work. Should I buy a really good drill or keep buying the elcheapos?

How are Craftsman drills lately? I see a 19v combo for $135 now ...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I've had good luck with Porter Cable drills/batts for several years with only one out of 7 of my batteries go bad. I use the 19.2v size and have most of the tools they fit.... drill, hammer drill, 6" circular saw, recip, and a flashlight with which I use to totally drain the batts before charging again. I do believe the secret to batt life and longevity is the proper drain and charge.....
Although the 19.2 size may be a little large and powerful for around the house chores............

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, Todd. I bought a Braun cordless rechargable shaver about 5 or 6 years ago. Their instructions explictly say you can charge when the light starts flashing red but I ignore it and let it run until its totally drained. Then recharge. Still works like a charm. I see other shavers where they have to keep the cord attached because the battery died after only a few years. Methinks they advise people to use it that way so that it eventually ruins the battery. For obvious reasons. I think the same applies to other rechargables.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have 24volt drill i bought at lowes.

cant find it online.
also i think that size is as big as they get.
plus i think this size is a lowes exclusive.

called black and decker firestorm.

another point is that in the instructions it tells you to not leave the battereys on the charger for long periods of time after it is charged because it will weaken the batterey and lower it's time that it can hold a charge.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I bought a Skill 12V about 15 years ago and couldn't be happier. Best $69 I ever spent. Still using the same battery, charges in about an hour and doesn't discharge even after a month or two of non use. Bought a "Chicago" brand from Harbor Freight and it's a piece a junk in comparison. Loses it's charge in a day or two which makes it useless unless I plan ahead and put it in the charger. But, for $24.95 what was I expecting? My brother is very happy with his Craftsman too BTW. Get one of those quick dis-connect drill bit sets too if you haven't already. Best idea in a long time.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I was looking for a new 14.4v cordless drill a few months ago. After doing a lot of research on the net and checking feedback of users on all of the different brands, I ended up buying a Makita. Excellent drill with a very long battery life. Highly recommended! :emoji_thumbsup:

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I have a Dewalt 9.6V Cordless that I bought in Dec. '96, and I'm still on the original batteries. It sees weekly use.
I have always run the batteries down until the drill slows measureably. Then, I charge them completely (takes about an hour), and then immediately remove them from the charger. Nearly 8 years, and they still have decent life in them.

ClintS

Stunt Coordinator
I have a dewalt 14.4V cordless drill. Set came with two batteries. I have had it for over 4 years now and still going strong on the original batteries. They see infrequent use, usually a month or so between uses. Although last time I used it (assembly of wood swing set) I burned through both batteries at least 5 times each. I always run completely down before charging. I store them fully charged.

Anyways another vote for Dewalt its been the best drill I have owned. I had a wimpy B&D previously and the battery quit after about 3 years. And yes I know B&D makes Dewalt but they are a different class of tools, dewalt is much better made IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks