What's new

Copyright issues exchanging DVDs (1 Viewer)

Colin-H

Second Unit
Sam, I don't think you got his point. He knew his logic was wrong. He was just mimicking your logic to show that it too was wrong. When did the store's DVD player become the standard? The standard should be the consumer's DVD player, not the store's DVD player. My player was also from Best Buy. Maybe I should've brought that up. Wonder if they would've accepted a return on it. Ha.

If I tried to sell this disc used, I could not in good conscience have said that the disc is in mint condition. If it is not in mint condition out of the box, it is defective. Simple as that.

I believe that most people on the forum would've done the same thing. In all the discs I have bought, rented, and borrowed, I have not seen another disc with a similar flaw.

Daniel_T

Auditioning
Player B may just be an old vintage player and doesn't have good error correction.
Doesn't this mean that there is an error on the disk (or else it would not have to use error correction to play the disk)?
Yes, it could be dust or prints on the disk, but if there is nothing visible on the surface...

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
DVDs are SOFTWARE. They are not necessarily compatable with all players, and more than that, with all firmware revisions in those players. Most player manufacturers have to upgrade their firmware to accomodate the somewhat loose standards in the industry. Discs can fail to play for a number of reasons, but determining that one is defective isn't cut and dried unless it fails to play on any machine.

As for the copyright issue, as Dave said, what you were told is BS. Stores can have policies in place to prohibit returning open items for refunds (to prevent a "free rental") and many (if not most) will only exchange defective items for the same item, or store credit if the item is out of stock.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Sam, I don't think you got his point. He knew his logic was wrong. He was just mimicking your logic to show that it too was wrong.
Thank you Colin. Yes, I was just trying to make a point. And, I agree that saying your player is the problem because it has poor error correction is implying that there is an error on the disk that needs corrected, and therefore should be returnable.

Users who are viewing this thread