Copyright issues exchanging DVDs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-H, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Have you ever tried to return a defective, out of print DVD?

I went to Best Buy today to return the defective copy of Fight Club 2-disc I bought last week. First of all, they didn't believe it was defective, even though the disc shows some pretty blatant physical defects, because they couldn't reproduce the error in the DVD player they had in the back. Finally, after I argued, they let me exchange it. They said I had to get the same copy. I couldn't find any left and told them it was out of print. After a lot of me arguing and them insisting it's the player not the disc, he lets me exchange my DVD for a different title, but says because of copyright issues, they have to send the original back to the government, so they have to open the new DVD I get. I didn't quite get it. I understand this is so I don't take the new one back unopened to get cash, but I don't quite get the whole "send the returned DVD back to the government because of copyright issues" thing. Can anyone explain?

2. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

3. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

They just open the new DVD to prevent you from trying to return the unopened one for cash or another disc.

Common retail procedure because people would try to usurp the return policy.

4. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

You can only get the same film after its opened because some shady "customers" could copy the film to VHS and return it saying it was defective...thus they get another movie. And further, two movies for one.

Some shady "customers" even go so far as doing this practice multiple times.

5. Matthew H

Matthew H Second Unit

Your first problem was that you bought it from Worst Buy. I've had nothing but arguing and trouble last time I went there - so bad that I will never step foot in their store again.

I'm glad everything turned out for you.

6. Keith M.

Keith M. Second Unit

well, if it is true that BB owns Media Play and Suncoast...
    They have finally lost me as a dvd customer.

That is the most deceitful retail game i have ever experienced...understock catalog titles so people will go to their other stores to purchase them at full retail!!

Looks like its back to buy.com for me...

F$(* U BB!!!!

7. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

9. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

I e-mailed them. I threw in the part about how the employees were more defensive than helpful, and how they would help other people while I was standing around waiting for them to finish my return.

10. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator

I think many of us have had discs not playable on our own DVD player but turns out to be playable on other DVD players.

I think the store is being very nice to you to accept your return. If the disc can play in the store's DVD player without any problem, then the problem is your player, not the disc. The store has no obligation to accept your return since there is no defect on the disc.

As to the returning of the disc to the gov't, I guess, the store guy is probably just humoring you. He knows you would not believe that the gov't would get itself involved in disc returns. I won't get too upset about this. Just be grateful that they replaced your disc with another title even though your disc is not defective.

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman

12. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul

13. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Not all DVD players are created equal. Some DVD players have better lasers than others, some have better error correction mechanisms. Just because my DVD player can't correct errors as well as the player in the store, it doesn't mean that there isn't an error.
    A good real-life example here is web browsers:
    If I write the HTML code bold bold italic italic, it will display in Internet Explorer. It may not display in Netscape, but that's okay because there's an error in the input. (The HTML spec states that all tags must be properly nested, so this should be written bold bold italic italic.)
    Is good error correction a desirable feature? Of course. Is it a necessary feature? In an ideal world where all discs are scratch proof and without flaw, no. Because one DVD player plays another DVD without error does that mean the disc is without error? No. To say otherwise is logically incorrect.
    Furthermore, I didn't mention that I bought 2 copies of Fight Club initially. The second copy does not have the glue problem and it works fine in my DVD player.

14. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Almost the exact same situation happened to me at Target last week, except I had purchased a 3 dvd set which contained Disc 1, Disc 1 and Disc 3. Target had no more in stock, and would not allow a refund or exchange for other merchandise. I was directed to contact the manufacturer.
    Being quite pissed off at this time, I looked up financial data and company history on the web, got the names of a few of the higher ups (like the company president & director of guest relations [​IMG] ), made an educated guess at their email addresses, and sent a polite letter.
    The next day I received a phone call, was told that this should not have happened, and received a refund. However, the return policy of Target seems to indicate that what happened to me was their exact policy.
    Disturbing, to say the least. But clearly the result of a paranoid reaction to DMCA and copyright laws.
    -Dave

15. Ian_H

Ian_H Supporting Actor

16. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell

17. Douglas Kalon

Douglas Kalon Stunt Coordinator

When I bought my copy of the first Pearl Harbor 2-disc set (Disney) from Best Buy it had a major defect. The picture turned into blocks and jumbled up during the dolittle raid, right when they start to bomb Japan.

I went to Best Buy, told them the problem and all I had to do was fill in a little form and get another copy. Yes they opened it also, but that didn't bother me. They didn't go and try to play it on any of their players before allowing the exchange.

The only store where they ever went and played EVERY movie I returned because it was defective was a small video store I used to deal with. This was before DVD's and I was buying LaserDisc's from them. Every time I had a defective title, they would go and play it on one of their players and I had to show them the defect. Once I had a title and tried to return it, it played fine on their player and they bitched about accepting the return, they said it must be my player that has a problem. I told them that I have a large collection and that this is the only title I am currently having problems with and that I also purchased the player from them. Which was well over $1,000. Needless to say they accepted the exchange. I guess that money sometimes talks and they didn't want to lose a customer. Well since BestBuy has a very good selection, better prices and a good exchange policy I deal with them now for most of my DVD purchases.

18. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I stopped buying DVD's at Best Buy when I returned a defective DVD for the same title and they opened the disc in the store as to suggest I might return it for another title. It's insulting, Why would I go through that much trouble when I can rent the DVD for a few bucks at my local video store or for free at work. I wouldn't buy an opened DVD in the first place. Best Buy has become the last place I will ever buy a DVD, besides they don't carry many catalog titles.

19. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

20. Sam_K

Sam_K Stunt Coordinator