Copying user profiles in windows?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Andrew_A_Paul, Jun 29, 2004.

1. Has anyone ever copied profiles in XP? I know how to do it, and have done it, but for some reason no matter who I log in as it will not let me copy the profile from the user name I use. Anyone have an idea of why this may be? Thanks.
  2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Dec 17, 2003
    Are you logging in as an administrator at all? Only an Admin has permission to mess with user names.
  3. Ok, heres what i have. Me as the person who set up the computer after a windows install, so i AM an admin. there is the admin account obviously, and then theres the guest account.

If i want to try and copy MY account to a different user i log in under the admin account and go to the profile settings, if i highlight my user account it greys out the "copy to" button.

I can log on as MY account (at least im 99.9% sure this is how i did it) and copy the admin profile to my guest account and the settings take on the guest account (desktop items, icons and such).

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!!
  4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999
    Perhaps you need to add the "guest" user to the administrator group temporarily for the user profile to be copied from the "admin" profile to the "guest" profile.