What's new

Copying DVD to VHS? Is it possible? (urgent) (1 Viewer)

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all.

I'm sorry if this question belongs in the wrong section, and for asking a noob question.

But I'm in a bit of a hurry.

I'm trying to cut down on costs with the videographer (for wedding).

Is it possible to copy a DVD onto a VHS tape?
Is there a copy protection encryption on the DVD disc?

Thanks in advance!
-david

Ike

Screenwriter
Is it possible to copy a DVD onto a VHS tape?
Is there a copy protection encryption on the DVD disc?
Yes, it's probably encrypted. There are a few exceptions (Criterion used to not use encryption, so did MGM, but I don't know about now), but most of the time they are encrypted. Explaining how to get around the encryption is against the forum rules (and I don't know how to do it anyway).

Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your question.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Let's be clear:

Commerical DVD movies have copy protection. But DVD's you record yourself do not.

So if the photographer has a DVD made from another event, it should be copyable.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
I knew you would respond Bob!
:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Yes, I am referring to whether I can
copy my wedding DVD onto VHS tapes.

Does the videographer have a right to copyright
and encrypt our wedding DVD?

I prefer to make my own vhs tapes from the DVD copy,
versus having him charge us for 3 vhs tapes.

Is this possible?

Thanks so much.
-david

MarcVH

Second Unit
What kind of agreement did you sign with the videographer?

In general, professional wedding photography will include a provision indicating that the photographer's company owns the copyright on the product. I'd assume the videographer's agreement was similar.

It's possible that the videographer did not include copy protection on the DVD, in which case it's probably technically possible for you to make VHS copies. The legality and ethics of this action depend on what you intend to do with these VHS copies -- if you are keeping them as personal backup media in case the DVD is damaged, it's probably OK.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Marc,
I have not signed a contract with the videographer.
You bring up a good point, I should clarify the agreement with the videographer.

My only intentions were to make copies from the DVD disc, to share with parents of both families.

Is that not an ethical action? :frowning:

-david

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Many times portrate studios take your picture, sell you $300+ worth of pictures and keep the negatives so you have to go back to them if you want more copies.

This same concept sometimes flows over to wedding photography and videos. It's often covered in fine-print on a contract which you dont bother reading because you are distracted by the impending nuptuals.

I can well see a videographer going to a production house with a video and asking that MacroVision protection be used for a DVD. (But this costs him extra money).

Ethics: Is it Ethical of a photographer to claim all rights to pictures of your wedding? Can he then turn around and sell your pictures for use in a magazine, or to promote his business to other clients? Can he then throw-away the master/negatives after 6 months if you dont come back to him for copies? If he has the copyright, he can, and totally without your permission/knowledge.

Ethics: Is it ethical that he "locks you in" to coming to him for copy service?

My advice: Ask the photographer for some local references who have had the DVD of their weddings done. Call them and ask if the DVD is copieable or if you could borrow it and try running the video through your VCR.

Or

Ask the photographer for a copy of one of his "DVD's". You want to see what kind of titles/chapters/work he does. You also know that some older DVD players wont play the newer DVD-R disks and you want to make sure your family's DVD players (or computer DVD drives) are compatible so you need it for a few days. Or that you want to take it to a friend's house to make sure it runs on your friends Progressive Scan DVD player and HDTV.

Then, see if you can run the video through a VCR.

It IS un-ethical for you to do this if he holds the CopyRight in the contract you sign. But the contract is written to give HIM all the advantages/rights to YOUR event, trusting you are not experienced in these matters. He's playing with a different set of rules so it's un-ethical to start with IMHO.

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Once again, Bob satisfies my question.
Thanks so much. :emoji_thumbsup:

I will proceed to look into the contract's fine print, and discuss the issue of copying the DVD version of our event.

Take care,
-david

DavidQc

Stunt Coordinator
Update:

I spoke to the videographer. He stated that it should be possible to make a copy of the wedding from DVD to VHS.

And that he has no reason to protect the DVD from copying.

Thanks for your help guys.

Now I just need to decide between two Videographers.
:D

-David

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks