What's new

Copy from DVD to VHS=? (1 Viewer)

DavidO

Auditioning
My DVD operates on the EXT (external device) channel of my TV (essentially channel 0). That channel is not accessible by my VHS. So, how can I tape a DVD thru the TV?

Can't consider direct DVD to VHS for various reasons.

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
Unless your TV has "monitor out" jacks then you can't. Also, Macrovision copy protection will prevent you from getting a clear copy of any copyrighted DVD.

If you're not trying to dupe a copy protected DVD, then your only choice is to route the DVD signal through the VCR. But don't leave the system set up that way because Macrovision will mess up the picture on any protected DVDs you try to play.

DavidO

Auditioning
The set-up is: 1.Cable signal to VCR. 2. Cable signal, video, and audio from VCR to TV. 3. DVD signals to TV.

I had assumed that the DVD output would just be another input item showing on the TV that could be captured on tape like any other input item, and that my only problem was finding the right channel on the VCR to grab it.

From what you're saying, I wouldn't be able to tape digital images I'm viewing from my camera, because they, too, come in on the TV's EXT channel, notwithstanding no copy protection or Macrovision problem?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Discussing how to record copyrighted DVDs is against the rules of this forum, by the way.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
David has assured me that he's trying to tape a homemade DVD of his grandchildren made from a digital camcorder. Thread is re-opened.

Just because the DVD/Camcorder output is hooked up to the TV's EXT input (found by selecting Channel 0 on the TV) doesn't mean it goes anywhere but to the TV. There's no connection available to the VCR at this point.

The VCR can only record what is fed to it. Having the TV in the middle doesn't magically mean the VCR can tune "channel 0" as an input because you're confusing what the TV is doing with the EXT (DVD input) and the VCR.

It sounds like you are only feeding a coax F-connector (screw on connector with the thin center wire conductor in the middle of the cable) Cable TV connection to the VCR. You haven't given us enough information to assume it's a cable box that has the A/V outputs (RCA jacks for the cable connections), or just a coax Cable TV feed into the VCR's coax input.

You VCR can't "tune" channel 0 because that's really just the TV's way for you to find the EXTernal A/V input 1 on the TV. There is no channel 0 that can be tuned by a VCR anyhow.

Does your VCR have A/V input (RCA jacks)? If so, why not hook your camcorder output to the VCR input on a temporary basis? And then for the VCR, simply tune it to that External input (some VCRs call it Line 1, or Line Input, etc) and record what it coming through the VCR's line A/V input.

I would find it hard to believe that a VCR would have a set of Line Outputs but not Line Inputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks