Copy a CD w/CD Text

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Camp, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I want to copy store-purchased CDs to CD-R with CD text so my mega-changer can read the Artist/Title automatically. It will save me from having to manually type this data into the mega-changer.

I have Nero but it's not exactly the most user-friendly application in the world. I can certainly do what I want with Nero but was hoping there would be something quicker/easier for copying a CD and adding CD text.

Nero can't do it in one step (it must perform a rip to HD, look-up the CD info and rename the song files, and then burn the CD in a third step). The problem with this is that I don't get an exact duplicate of the CD (space between tracks differs from the album...so perfect dups aren't possible).

What else should I try?

2. RandyObert

RandyObert Agent

removed by me, no delete feature

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

EAC doesn't burn though. Are you saying to rip via EAC to WAV?

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Nevermind..EAC does burn. I never saw that option before. I'll give that a shot...thanks!

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Well, EAC doesn't play well with my CD burner. I'm back to square one. I like how EAC burns though: create a CUE sheet and burn from that. Any other software that does this?

7. Wayne Bundrick

Nero can burn from the CUE sheet.

8. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

I'm not clear on why Nero won't work for this. Is there a reason you are ripping each track and then burning? I use Nero to do a CD-to-CD copy (rips CD image to HD then burns), and it works great. I pop in the CD and start a CD copy. Nero reads the disc information and lets me select the CD from an internet database, then burns the copy. Here's a guide from Ahead's site.

9. Wayne Bundrick

Does that burn the CD-Text? I hope it's an option that can be turned on or off, because sometimes a copy means a copy, not a modified copy.

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with Nero...I can burn copies fine, I just can't get an exact duplicate with text for album, artist, and track titles. I'm sure Nero can do the whole thing...I'm just incompatible with Nero's interface.

I'm now using EAC to create an image with Cue sheet. I then open the Cue sheet in Nero and get exactly what I need. It's a 2-step process but it works.

11. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

This is kind of related, so I hope I'm not thread hijacking....

I've been using the method that Chad mentioned, which seems to be working. However, for discs that don't have CD-text, I'd like to add my own. But....the only player I have that reads the text is in my car, so I don't find out until after I've already burned a copy.

So I'd like to find some software that can read CD-text. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Dave

12. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Use pretty much any PC media player. Just turn off the option to look up track info on the internet. If it fills in the song titles, it's reading the text.

13. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Ok, this is really bizarre.

I have a CD which I had copied, and when I got my new car stereo, it read the CD-text, so I thought "hey, that's cool". So I loaded both the original and the copy into my PC, and tried some CD-text capable programs, but nothing read the info. This prompted my question above.

Now I dug up some Sony discs that definitely have CD-text, and they read just fine in all of the programs that I tried. This leads me to think that the discs listed above don't have CD-text. But if that is the case, where would the stereo get the information?!

-Dave

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Um...your car stereo has CDDB access? [​IMG]

That is odd...I wonder if there are different ways to store text on the CD?