Cops

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Jim Saunders, Jan 12, 2005.

1. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders Agent

Man, how I have always loved this show. I was in High School when it premiered and remember fondly how they showed one episode each night for a week. Broward County, FL.
    I remember one of those first episodes, a guy was getting frisked and decided to make a run for it. The cop chased him, caught him and beat the hell out of him with his baton while the guy was on the ground. Amazing thing to see back in 1989, before Rodney King.
    2 things I would love to see- A DVD release of Cops-Too Hot For TV, and season sets.
    Is there any reason why season sets are unlikely? Would releases need to be signed by the people who appear in each episode? I would think if they had to sign a release to be on the show, something in the small print would have included all future use of their images.
    And where does Cops rank on the tvshowondvd list of requested shows?

2. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

I think I remember reading some reviews of COPS DVDs on tvshowsondvd. They weren't season sets, though. I don't remember if "Too Hot for TV" was one of the DVDs, though.

3. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Jim, I can’t answer your questions but I love this show too & have three uncensored Cops DVDs:

Cops: Bad Girls
    Cops: Caught in the Act
    Cops: Shots Fired

I’d love to see uncensored season sets of Cops!

Edit: Actually the 50 minute main segments are censored while the ~15 minute additional footage segments are uncensored.

4. Jim Saunders

Jim Saunders Agent

Thanks, guys. I'm aware of the 3 DVDs you mentioned, Jay. There was also also a 'Too Hot For TV' VHS released several years ago. My understanding is the 3 dvds each have about 16 min or so of footage from the VHS, although I havent seen it, but I'm pretty sure its not complete. The VHS was about an hour long and LOL funny.

5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

I was wondering about this as well. Season sets would be fun. Especially in the early days, they spent an entire season with one city (Miami, Portland, etc). Court TV shows a lot of the early ones and they are quite different, following more of the officer's home lives.

6. Joe*R

Joe*R Stunt Coordinator

I am also a fan of Cops and would definitely be thrilled if season sets came out. I've been hesitant to buy the 3 DVD set metioned above due to my anticipation or season sets. When was the 3 DVD set released and does anyone know who owns the rights to Cops?? That theme song sure is catchy and I can't help sometimes but to sing along when I hear it on tv. Also, has anyone heard of a show titled LAPD: Life on the Beat?? It is similar to Cops in nature, although I believe Cops is the better show.

7. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

Joe, the 3 DVDs were released on March 23, 2004 by Fox Home Entertainment.

I said above that they are uncensored but actually the 50 minute segments are censored while the ~15 minutes of additional footage are uncensored.

The New Orleans Mardis Gras segment on Cops: Caught in the Act is interesting. However it's strange that the flash scenes are blurred in the main segment but not blurred in the additional footage.

Uncensored season sets would be great.

8. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Cinematographer

Although, maybe not. Just think of all the drunk naked people they arrest. Do you REALLY want to see some of them unblurred?

Even on the Too Hot DVDs, some of that I really didn't want to see.