Cops: Live From Your Movie Theater

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MandyHan, Aug 23, 2006.

1. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

http://www.chicagotribune.com/techno...ck=1&cset=true

Apparently there are alot more cops showing up for screenings of movie. Usually if I go to one, I notice more ushers, but I didnt realize that they were actually policing these things. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do to stop piracy.

Interesting article.

2. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Bad boys
    Whatcha want, watcha want
    Whatcha gonna do
    When Sheriff John Brown come for you
    Tell me
    Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
    Yeaheah

CHORUS:
    Bad boys, bad boys
    Whatcha gonna do, whatcha gonna do
    When they come for you
    (Repeat)

Scene: Various clips of cops climbing over chairs chasing a suspect holding a video camera as he attempts to elude officers on a high-speed run through the theater and into the lobby. White-trash girlfriend jumps on the back of one of the officers while still holding her popcorn in one hand.

- Colton

3. MandyHan

MandyHan Stunt Coordinator

hahaha.

I guess I shouldnt laugh though. I'm glad they are doing this. I dont know why people would want to watch these copies anyway.

4. Jason Kirkpatri

Jason Kirkpatri Second Unit

^ bingo. I can't fathom why either.

5. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

I hope the theatres are paying the cost, if the cops are there just to prevent piracy.

I also don't know why anyone would want those low-quality recordings.

6. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

because people are stupid.

I once saw a news report (YEARS ago) about pirated VHS tapes and they showed an example of Aladdin. They were showing a clip of the movie and it was SCREAMINGLY obvious that someone was filming from their seat. The angle was bad, the camera kept bouncing, you could see peoples heads, etc. but the thing that killed me was that the reporter pointed out the crowds laughter as the real proof that it was a bootleg, as if that other crap wasn't good enough proof. [​IMG]

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

If only they put this much effort into stopping bad film presentation in theaters.

8. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

I live outside Chicago. I can't say I've seen any cops in the theatre, but the ushers have started walking the main floor a couple times during the movie with their little orange flashlights. The also talk to the audience before the movie to remind them to turn off their cell phones and not to otherwise disturb other patrons and if we needed anything to just flag them down. I never thought this was to prevent piracy - how can someone standing at the screen looking back at the audience tell the difference between, say, my eyeglasses reflection and that from a inch wide DV camera?

-paul

9. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I know that photographing ammovie image is illegal, but how good could the image quality of the copy possibly be? Even a digital camera shouldn't be able to render anything good enough to be sold on the black market. Am I wrong?

10. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

While most are horrible, they do present the movie and it is basically watchable. I have seen one or two that actually looked like a legal VHS copy with just a few jitters here an there.

These seem to be popular with the college crowd. My roomate in school used to buy them. I could never finish one though.

Anyway, the main draw for these I believe is that you are able to watch an "in theater" movie at home with friends now. Once the movie is released on home video, the market for these is gone to my understanding.