What's new

Cop Land CE (1 Viewer)

Vijay

Agent
I saw alot of people dissing this movie on some sites..

I think its a very underrated movie, I actually really think of it as one of the best drama movies out there..maybe its just one of my guilty pleasures

..just watching the formidable cast is amazing , Deniro, Keital, Stallone, Liotta, and the terminator guy...do their work is cool.

I put it in a class of a Glen Gary Glen Ross underated movie....

How many others bought this DVD today..

and what do you think of the movie...

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
It came out today?! Damn! I'm behind! I love this movie with every ounce of my portugese heart. Great film.

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I've been surprised how quiet the buzz (or lack of it) has been for this Collectors Edition. I've held of on buying it for a few years in hopes of a worthy DVD.

It will be mine by the end of the week.

John KB

Second Unit
I love this movie, bought it today for only $16.99 Canadian! What a steal. I'm currently listening to the audio commentary. Anyone seen any reviews yet?

Also, what are the differences between the original and this director's cut? They've pointed out a couple in the commentary.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I bought this yeaterday as well. $16 Cdn,

Can't wait to wathc this again. I saw it when it first came out and was blown away by it!

I think it's the title that turns people off, it is kinda corny.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Guys,

I got this title along with Trainspotting and Flirting with Disaster less than a week ago and didn't have time to get all three reviewed before street date.

I've never seen Copland but have heard good things and would like to try to get a review up for this title ASAP...even if just a "technical" review to start that at least covers PQ, SQ, and extras.

Would you guys want to see the review show up a few days after street date or do you think that would just annoy people? I've heard folks express both opinions before so let's take a vote here.

-dave :)

Jeannette Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Dave

I don't think it really matters when the review is up. For those of us that get the DVD before the review is done we can still read it to see if we agree or not, but more importantly it will be there for anyone who might think about getting it or upgrading further down the road.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Just watched this--thought it looked & sounded great. Didn't notice much rear channel action, but Howard Shore's score (and Bruce, of course) sounded good.

I just really like this film. I thought about Rio Bravo a lot this viewing--especially with Ray Liotta's excellent, Dean Martin-esque turn. Can't wait to check out the extras. I'm psyched Robert Patrick takes part in the commentary--his mustache owns this movie!

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I must own this. One of the most underrated movies you'll ever run across. The cast is one of the best casts assembled in years as well. It's just an incredibly well written, directed, and acted piece of work, and Stallone more than holds his own with DeNiro, Keitel, and Liotta.

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
This morning I got to sample about 30 mins of the commentary track, and was pleasantly surprised. Sly comes across as humble, funny, and very personable - definitely a refreshing change to how the public normally sees him. I also dig the new cover. Miramax's old "banner" covers were always terrible :)

Runar_R

Second Unit
I really like this movie, and the new edition is a steal at that price. Noe, can we get a SE of Mangold's "Heavy" as well?
:)

I was amused by reading the back of the cover.
*Sylvester Stallone (Spy Kids 3: Game over, Driven)
-Never mind Rocky, huh?
*Robert DeNiro (Analyze that, Meet the parents)
-ehm....

They must think we have short memories....

Bring on the review DaViD. This is a movie that deserves a bigger audience

I just listened to the commentary-track, and I have to say it's among my favourite ones. It's a bit of a 'love-fest', but it's also informative and hugely entertaining. And Sly's great in it. My favourite:
We see Robert Patrick's character vomit, and Sly says "Here we see Robert just after a screening of D-Tox"

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I agree, the commentary is a nice mix of information, anecdote, and good old-fashioned car-waxing. I liked how they used up a day deciding which star got to enter the scene by walking in a door! And hearing some influences mentioned was cool (like On the Waterfront, which for some reason I never got--duh! Even the score is somewhat reminiscent).

As far as the mixed bag of credits on the back, I'm guessing all those films are Miramax-related. Sometimes a name is better off speaking for itself...But I like the cover.

One last note: did that look like Paulie Walnuts in those surveillance photos?

adrian b

Stunt Coordinator
BUT.......did anyone else noticed the extra 11 minutes of footage inserted into this release?

I saw this in the theaters and have the old DVD (and, yes, it is newly inserted footage). I wasn't aware that there was going to be extra footage added. Imagine my surprise last night when I watched the new version.
The good news is that all the added footage plays rather well except for the scene where there is a meeting between Freddie and Ray (Ch.6 24:06). I don't care for this scene as it indicates Freddie knows what is really going on. The original cut never even hinted at this and made Freddies character all the more believable. Again, like I said, all the new footage works pretty well except for this one scene.
Lastly, a big thumbs up on this new transfer.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Just curious, but does this release come with an insert, because mine didn't have one. Anyways, I watched it earlier tonight, and quite enjoyed all the new scenes. Very happy to have a souped up version of this gem on DVD now.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I jsut finished watching this one too. The first tiem I have seen it since I rented it on VHS so many years ago. Certainly an underrated gem that has found its way with a pretty strong following. Stallone's performance was better than I remembered it, and it's a shame he wasn't more widely recognized for his work.

The cast itself is exceptional, and one of the best ensemble casts I have seen in a while. Liota, Keitel, De Niro, just to name a few, plus many more recognizable faces. This was a pretty solid hit when it was released in theaters, but was neglected by critics and garnered few awards.

I was surpised wit hte DVD presentation. The DD 5.1 track was quite impressive, and much more aggressive than I expected for a film that is largely dialogue driven (with a few exceptions of course, namely several action scenes that are very impressive audio wise). The transfer was also very impressive. Nothing outstanding, but a solid anamorphic transfer that won't disappoint. I havent looked at the extras yet, but will give them a spin eventually. I can't comment on the new scenes since I haven't seen this film in so long, but I think I spotted one or two in there. Either way, its still a very well made film.

I would recommend this as a buy to those looking for a exceptional crime drama with excellant lead performances by some of Hollywood's most versatile actors. I'm glad to see Miramax revisted this title and did it right.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yes, this movie is a VERY VERY underrated movie. Heck,the first time I saw it I was forced to and in a bad mood. My wife and I went to the theatre to see Event Horizon, I was really anticipating that movie but my wife was dreading it. We ran into some friends that were seeing Copland so my wife was all for seeing that movie and I reluctantly traded in my tickets for it. I went in telling myself that I am going to hate this movie no matter what, well 10 minutes into it I was hooked. I thanked everybody for making me see it, I can't believe I almost picked that p.o.s. movie Event Horizon over Copland. Since then I have probably seen Copland like 6 or 7 times. I love this movie easily an A+ movie in my book. What a cast, and this is Stallone at his best. I have had this movie in my dvd collection for quite sometime and did not even realize that there was a special Directors Edition. I'll be picking this one up today for sure.

Two questions I have though.
1.How is the video quality compared to the original?
2.How is the audio quality compared to the original?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Was there a previous DVD or just laser? Anybody in the Wash DC area have one or both and want to bring them over to do a review on the projector?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks