Coordinating your choice of seats in a movie theater

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien Montanile, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

the Post about Stadium Seating or not sparked me to thinking about what I do when I go to a movie theater...

I eye out all of the Surround sound speakers in the place and start counting seats to get a prime listening position (or at least estimate acording to eye distance). My friends think Im nuts when they see me start counting in seats from both ends toward the center.

Anyone else like that?

-Damien

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Well, if a theater is set up correctly, there shouldn't be a substantial difference as far as the surround field goes. The theater I freqent is set up nicely, so choosing a seat isn't such a hassle. Sometimes I pick the "sweet spot" but usually, I try to get the upper row because of more leg room.

Bruce

3. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

I don't count seats but as I'm walking down the aisle I eyeball the screen to gauge how close I am to the center. If possible I try to sit halfway up the stadium riser.

4. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I've got such a reputation for being uptight about my seat location that none of my friends/family bother to question me anymore. I'll show up absurdly early for a film just to make sure that I'm sitting where I want. I saw Apollo 13 in the front row once and I felt like I was staring up Tom Hanks nostril the entire time.
    I like to sit at approximately half way up the height of the screen and in the center. This usually puts me about half way back in the seating.
    Yeah, I'm uptight but I'm cool with that[​IMG]

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I simply sit where the screen size is "comfortable" and grab a middle sseat if I can.

6. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

I always try to pick the sweet spot in the center. But, sometimes I'll move if I happen to be sitting near loud and annoying people. [​IMG]

7. Mitty

Mitty Supporting Actor

I happily give up "optimal" seating in order to get away from the throng of yahoos who typically occupy and/or surround the best seats.

8. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

I do the same thing as Neil. As long as I am comfortable everything is good. [​IMG]

9. Jason Whyte

Jason Whyte Screenwriter

In a stadium theater, back row baby! Although an irritant of mine is seeing every bloody person get up to go to the bathroom, I have no one kicking behind my seats or talking behind me. [​IMG]
    Jay

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

In stadium seating theaters, you'll always find me smack-dab in the middle (use lights/tile lines on ceiling - easier than counting seats) and second row from the back.

The back row would be better in one sense - no one to kick your chair from behind or munch popcorn in your ear - but the rear surround field needs a bit more room IMO. And from this distance, the entire frame of the film (particularly if 'scope) is easily within my field of vision (as opposed to being too close and having the sides drift off into the periphery).

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I generally eyeball the center of the screen and try to sit toward the front, trying to find the point where the screen fills my field of vision but doesn't require head movement to see any part of it. With stadium seating, I've generally found myself going for the "entrence level" seats, since the walkway gives me leg room.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I usually will try to sit in the middle of the seats.

I don't like being too close are too far to the edge (disortion) and surround sound works better in the middle sweet spot (more vital to Cinerama if you're lucky enough to see a Cinerama film.)

13. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Are you not able to choose the seat you want when buying a movie ticket in the US?

14. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I seldom go to the movies but when I do I make sure to get an end seat on the right about halfway back from the screen. That way if the theater starts getting a little on the packed side, I will only have some asshole sitting to the left of me and I wont be sardined in the middle of two strangers. I'm a person who needs his personal space [​IMG]

15. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I will usually try for about 2/3 of the way up.

16. Ron Eastman

Ron Eastman Second Unit

Jens, very few theaters in the USA use assigned seating. There have been some experiments with it, particulary in New York and from what I have read it has worked out well. Personally, I prefer first come, first served seating.
    By the way, we also can't get a beer in theaters in the USA. I hope you serve beer in Cinemax! [​IMG]

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Center, of course, and usually beneath screen center (typically third-fifth row in the stadium section). I don't ever recommend sitting in the ground floor section. I think the last time I did the ground floor front row was for Waterworld and Castaway. Detracted from both films.

18. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

When I'm by myself, I sit dead center, very close. I like having to turn my head to follow the action. If the screen is set back far enough, I'll even sit in the front row, taking advantage of the extra legroom (plus nobody ever has to climb over me or vice versa)

When I'm with somebody, I just let them pick the row, suggesting center seats "as close as they can tolerate".

19. Greg Rowe

Greg Rowe Stunt Coordinator

Greg

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

I'm not sure why beer isn't served in US theaters. If I had to guess, it would be because it's impractical - half the people working the concession stand are under 21, and you'd have to ID people at the stand, too.

One interesting trivia bit about that is that the Keystone Theater Cafe in Portland, ME (RIP) did have beer and wine on the menu, but weren't allowed to serve it during Warner Brothers movies - so one studio, at least, had it in their distribution contracts.

The coffee thing appears to have done very well - I can't remember going to a theater that didn't serve coffee in the past five years.