What's new

COOPER, BRANDO, AND NEWMAN BOXSETS IN NOVEMBER (1 Viewer)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I can't help but wonder if those not familiar with Reflections history and only know the film from its Technicolor prints upon seeing a "restored" DVD will attempt to return it as "defective"?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
This is one reason why I thought Warner would release the film in different versions, perhaps on alternate sides of a DVD-18. Some fans of the film could get annoyed if it looks completely different to how they remember it. At the very least I hope Warner includes some production notes explaining the unique look.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Why isn't Cool Hand Luke included in the Newman box?

I thought that a new S.E. was supposedly coming out this year...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I still wished Warner waited until next year so that "Cool Hand Luke" could've been a part of this boxset. Oh well, I'm still buying it.:)

Crawdaddy

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just got the R2 "Hanging Tree", Although it is pan and scan 1.33:1 ,it looks much better than "Naked Spur"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I rather have "The Naked Spur" in it's latest dvd format than have a pan and scan version of "The Hanging Tree". Some of the softness of that dvd is nowhere as bad as not having a film in it's OAR.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I agree with you absolutely!!! I Look forward to the widescreen version. It was great to see the film again even though it was pan and scan. At least it was not a 2.35 film.

ted:r

Second Unit
I have the hardcover edition of William Goldman's "Adventures In The Screen Trade" and when you open the book it shows the theatrical posters of the movies written by Goldman, including "Harper". The artwork is exactly the same as the DVD cover.

BTW, all the artwork looks spectacular, including the cover, where Newman looks like Newman (cf Cary Grant on the Columbia and Universal boxes)

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
Why Gary Cooper's box is "Signature collection" while Newman's just plain "Paul Newman collection"?

Jacqui

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacqui
Kudos to Warners. Their artwork for The Paul Newman Collection is fantastic. (Notice the emphasis on Newman's trademark blue eyes). But what I especially love about this collection is that all of the original poster art is being used as the cover art for the DVD cases.

Finally rapt to have Harper, The Drowning Pool and The Young Philadelphians on DVD. It has been a long time coming.

Seth.H

Agent
Great news on the Newman and Cooper boxsets. Brando I have never really cared for.

Just a few words on the Newman titles

Harper: Love this movie. It has everything and Newman has never been cooler. The dialogue drips with wit and cynacisim from a world-weary P.I who has seen it all. And Pamela Tiffin ain't too shabby to look at.

The Drowning Pool: You can certainly see the maturity in Newman as an actor. A very underratted P.I flick. Richard Jaeckal is excellent, as is Murray Hamilton.

The Left Handed Gun: I don't know about anyone else, but Newman is at his '100%' method mode here, and at times, it can be quite distracting. Definitely a revolutionary western, and has developed a cult following. I just get the feeling that Newman was too handsome for the role. (as my wife will constantly testify :frowning: )

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
It seems that all three collections have dissapeared from amazon.com. I just called amazon.com customer service and they said that their records indicate that these sets are 'Out of Production'. Does anyone know if these releases have been delayed or cancelled?

ted:r

Second Unit
Highly unlikely, I would think. Amazon usually shows releases 8 or so weeks out (there are occasional exceptions) and these are just on the peripherary of that. I'd be surprised if they didn't show up in the next week or two.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Let's hope so. In fact, I found out about this by checking my order status for these sets which I placed a couple of days ago.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

This happens regularly at Amazon. I have no idea what triggers it, but they list them, unlist them, and then re-list them. During the unlisted period, everybody panics (including myself). I would just wait a week or so and I'd bet that they'll be back up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks