Cooling Question

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ThomasC, Dec 30, 2004.

1. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm trying to run my computer as quiet as possible, and the results are astounding. I can't believe my computer is on. The problem is, I have a Dell, and Dell uses proprietary parts for parts of the computer. One such instance is the CPU fan, which is designed differently than the usual way. The "usual way" would have the CPU fan right on top of the heatsink. I've got a P3 1GHz, and the CPU fan is attached to the back of the case, like a case fan would be, but there is a cover that goes over the fan and the heatsink, so the heat is blown out as it flows from the heatsink to the fan. The CPU fan was starting to get really loud, and this was the second one I had gotten from Dell, so I decided to get a quiet case fan, not knowing that the CPU fan and the case fan were not the same. The case fan kind of fits on the back of the case, but it's installed loosely. It's basically hanging on the case with two screws, because the back of the case is designed for a proprietary CPU fan, not a case fan. I have the case fan covered over with the cover for the CPU fan, attempting to get the heat out from the heatsink. I'm wondering if I can remove the case fan, and just use the fan from this power supply to suck the heat out. The heatsink is right below the power supply, and the fan at the bottom of the power supply sucks the air from within the computer and through the back of the power supply. I'm using the computer now with the case fan removed, and the computer seems to be running fine right now. The BIOS can't detect temperature settings, so I can't tell if my CPU is running too hot. Should I wait and see if anything starts to go wrong (Windows gets loopy, etc.), or should i put the case fan back on? Sorry if this post was confusing.

2. DaveJJ

DaveJJ Stunt Coordinator

My advise to you Thomas if the computer is working fine. Leave the case fan off. Any signs of trouble, replace fan.
    Good luck

DaveJJ

3. DaveNel

DaveNel Second Unit

If that dont work, They do make a fan that attaches to the processor, Then the power is supplied from 1 of the drive power connectors

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Has anyone tried the artic silver spray product yet?