What's new

Cooling my HT room...problem sloved! (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
For some time now I've been trying to figure out a way to cool my HT room w/o spending mega bucks on an A/C unit or the like. Fill the 10x12 HT room with people, all that gear and add a near zero circulation factor, it added up to a hot and stuffy room
frown.gif

Here's what I did:
I went to Home Depot and bought an 8" Honeywell Turbo fan, a 10"x8" an 8"x6" duct reducers, a 1' length of 6" duct and a dimmer switch.
First I removed the front grill of the fan, less air resistance = less noise. I placed the fan inside the 10" opening of the 10x8 reducer and using a length of weather striping around the fan, I secured it inside the reducer creating a nice tight seal. I then connected up the 8x6 reducer and the 1' length of 6" duct. I removed the 90 degree bend from the existing heater duct where it enters the room and then attached my fan/duct assembly to the 6" duct that enters the room. I ran the electrical cord of the fan down into the room inside my closet and wired it to the dimmer switch.
Basically, I created an exhaust system using the existing heater duct and register of the room.
I'll I have to do is crack the window (located at the opposite end of the room) 2" and turn the fan on. I have the fan set at full speed, but I use the dimmer switch to regulate its speed and air flow. The fan exhausts all the warm air from the HT room into the attic and draws in the cool air from the outside via the window
cool.gif

Some of the other benefits: it cost less than $40.00, it uses the existing register in the room (did not need to cut any additional holes in the room), it is very quiet and it moves a lot of air keeping the room very cool. If I run the fan at full speed you can hear the air moving, but not the fan because it is in the attic. So far, I've found that I only need to run the fan at 1/2 speed and it moves plently of air and keeps the noise level very low.
Now the HT room is cooler than the rest of the house :) Before we would exit the HT room into a nice cool living room. I had 6 people in the HT Saturday night. After 12 Monkeys was over we all walked out into a warmer living room, opposite of what it used to be.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------
http://home.earthlink.net/~peregrinefalcon/

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Glad you got it solved and I that God everyday for central air.
If you want to trick it out even more,get a remote controlled dimmer and you will never have to get up
------------------
"And the horse i rode in on?"...Marge Simpson

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Ron....
My solution to keeping my HT cool was to build it in my basement.
biggrin.gif
It cost me more than 40 bucks though.
Glad to hear that a simple solution worked for you. It's also nice to see another Polk owner online.
wink.gif

Regards,
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Stacey_V

Stunt Coordinator
Ron...
HT Room
Mains: RT-600i
Rear: RT-35i
Centre: CS-400i
Living Room
Mains: RM-3000 sub/sat
Rear: M3-II
Centre: CS-150
I am sure that you can get "better" sounding speakers than the Polk's. But, for the money spent, I am completely satisfied with their performance. To my ears, they sound great! I recently had some money to burn, and I was considering spending it on new Polk mains, etc. I eventually decided to stay with the Polk's I had, and upgraded my 35" Sony to a new Sony 53HS10 instead. This made a huge improvement in my HT enjoyment. More than I could have acheived by changing my speakers.
Are you still toying with the idea of a 40H80?
Lovin' my Sony squeeze...
Stacey
------------------
inspector.gif

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Ron,did you get your carpet all done?I am deciding between carpet and felt.I think they will be about the same price either way.
------------------

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
quote: Are you still toying with the idea of a 40H80?[/quote]
Oh yes, although I am in a state of confusion as I am torn between the 40H80 and the Mits 46807. Both very nice sets, just not sure which one. I have put the TV on hold as of now until after summer. Mainly, so I can see what TVs hit the streets, but also to save up the rest of the cash so I do not have to use credit of any kind. I hate monthly payments. I really like your HT room set-up
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

quote: Ron, did you get your carpet all done?[/quote]
Yes, the carpet is finished. I am now working on the trim and detail wood work. I still have not decided how I am going to trim out the ceiling yet. Also, I just bought some new foam and fabric for the seat portion of the theater seats. I'm adding an additional 2" of cushion and a more durable fabric. Once she is complete, I plan to have all new pics up, hopefully in about 4-5 weeks.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Amd this is all in your garage?
what did you do about the garage door?
------------------

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
quote: Amd this is all in your garage?[/quote]
Actually, I decided not to move the HT into the garage. For one, my wife likes it in the house. Two, we are planning on buying a new Toyota Sienna Van and I would not want to park it outside. Therefore, I would only be able to use half of the garage which would give me more depth but less width and height. It would be bigger, but not by much. Also, it is nice and convenient having it in the house. IF, we ever need the extra bedroom for something else, then I will move it into the garage. With all the work I have put into my current HT room, I talked myself out of doing it all over again. So, I decided to improve the room I have vs. building a new one.
Peace Out~
biggrin.gif

------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks