cooling fans

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by jeff_leerdn, Sep 24, 2004.

1. jeff_leerdn

jeff_leerdn Auditioning

Anyone know of any super silent cooling fans that is available out there?

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I don't know about super silent but Partsexpress maybe a good place to start.

3. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

partsexpress.com and radioshack have cooling fans...I don't know how they sound though.

4. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

There's a number of "silent" (aka quiet) computer fans available, and one should fit your needs. You'll just need a 5 or 12V power supply to run it. Panaflow is often considered to make the quietest, but things like Vantec Stealth fans are more easily available. A temperature controlled fan might be useful as well, depending on your application, but I often find that they are louder than other fans at similar CFM rates.
    Check your favorite computer parts website. I've ordered fans from www.bestbyte.net in the past as they had fairly good prices on what I was looking for.
    I believe that there's a web forum dedicated to silent PC's, but I can't seem to remember the URL right now. I'm sure a web search would turn something up.

Good luck,
    -- Dave

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You can always buy some 12v computer fans, then use a "Battery Eliminator" with variable voltages to feed them 10,9 volts to slow them down.