Cooling Fans for Power Amps?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Norman L, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Can some advise me what and where to find a cooling fan for my power amp that has only rear ventilation. A shelf above the amp gives it 1/2" of clearence.

2. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Radio Shack will have one for you no problem...Don't know the cost though.Regards

3. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Just get a computer case fan and a 9V DC adapter. Snip off the connector of the adapter, strip the leads, attach them to the fan and you're all set. Don't get a 12V, it's too noisy.

I have switched outlets on the back of my pre/pro so I plug the adapter into that. When the pre/pro goes on, the fans go on, as well as the amps.

Jeff

4. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Jeff,

That sounds great, I was going to buy 110V unit.

Radio shacks catolog has CPU cooling fans but does not state the DC Voltage. All all CPU fand 9v DC?

5. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Jeff can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he was suggesting was using a 9v power supply even if the fan is 12v. I don't think it will hurt the fan at all and it will run a little slower and, therefore, quieter.

Jeff? Am I right?

6. Clayton_M

Clayton_M Extra

I think he is right, because we do it in our computer mods all the time. We step down the voltage from or 12v supply to 7 or 9 sometimes as low as 5 if the fan can take it. Also you can throw a rheostat in line and make it adjustable.

7. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Jeff & Bob,

Yes you are 100% correct. I took out a computer fan from an old computer and connected to a 9V DC converter I was not using an it worked perfectly.

Thanks for all your help.

8. David W Collier

I just installed a fan for my Pioneer Elite 49. Got the parts from Radio Shack.

Fan #2730243

12VDC Adapt #2731773

You should use a short extension cord to seperate the converter from you amp or receiver. Also if you screw the fan directly to the shelf you might get some vibration & therefore some sound- this can be solved by installing some weather striping between the fan and the shelf. Good luck.

9. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

10. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

I am running 2X 100MM fans across my Denon, and another 2X across my Rotel power amp.

They are all running happily and very quiet at 4.5V using a small power pack.

Both units run very cool when I switch the fans on. I would power them off the back of the Denon but cannot locate a plugtop (in Australia) to suit the european style socket on the back.

11. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Parts express sells 2" CPU fans that are ultra quiet for less than $5. I think they require 9-12 V DC. If using a fan for one component I would suggest using one of these. If using it for a rack go with a bigger one like a 4" one.

12. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

Anyone,

I will soon have an amplifier that will reside in an audio cabinet. If I were to install a little computer fan on the back of the cabinet, would it be better to 1) Install the fan so that it blows incoming air into or across the amplifier case, or 2) Install the fan high up so that it exhausts warm air out the back of the cabinet?

Thanks,

Ron

13. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

Ron, I would think the later option would be better as installing the fan to blow air directly into the component would also blow in dust while exhausting warm air high up shouldn't suck dust into the component.

14. Norman L

Norman L Second Unit

Ron,

Why do computer fans blow air onto the components and do not exhaust from the components?

15. Ron Duca

Ron Duca Stunt Coordinator

Norman,

Some computers have component specific fans that blow directly onto a component. Many of the newer CPU's have a heat sink mounted directly to them and a dedicated fan, which blows onto the heat sink. Some video cards use this same method for cooling the video chip. Some computer cases have a fan that sucks air into the case, across the CPU and forces the warmer air out through vent slots or holes, while some case just exhaust air out the back or side of the case. When I built my computer last fall, I used a case that houses four fans. These are in addition to the component specific fans mentioned above. I only use three of the case fans though. One fan sucks air in from the front and blows it across my two hard drives. The other two exhaust warm air out the back of the case. And yes, it is noisier than your average computer, but I want to make sure it doesn't overheat and cause damage to any components.

Ron