cooling fan power source

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Matthews, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Josh Matthews

I'd like to place a cooling fan in the back of my receiver. I'm electronically illiterate so I couldn't really understand the threads I found regarding this. The fans I've seen all have a little three prong thingee or just two wires coming out. I don't have a three prong thingee in the back of my receiver but I do have two regular AC outlets. Past threads refer to "power sources" which seems to make sense. So what do I need to buy to hook one of these fans up, or does anyone know where I can get a small, cheap fan with a regular AC power cord? Thanks in advance.

2. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

Josh,

Fans you can buy at RadioShack are not prewired with electrical plugs...as they are sold so a buyer can use it to wire specifically to their application. If you buy a 120V fan from them you can easily add a plug so you can plug it into your "switched" outlet on the back fo your reciever. If that is a problem for you, you can always purchase a tiny desktop/dormroom fan at WalMart and plug it into the reciever. When the reciever is switch on the fan will come on as well.

3. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Also, be certain you are buying at least a 110v AC fan. Many of them are low voltage, to be used in PCs or other applications.

Sometimes people will buy a 220v fan so that it runs slower (read quieter) when plugged into 110v.

Doug