Cooling fan in Marantz receivers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisDixon, May 16, 2003.

1. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I've owned a Marantz 8200 receiver for about 6 months now, and I was always under the impression that it did not have a cooling fan of any kind (just very good heat sinks). However, tonight while watching We Were Soldiers at room-shaking volumes, I paused after a very loud and intense scene to rewind and hear it again. I noticed a new fan-like sound coming from my equipment rack. Sure enough, it was the 8200. It was pretty noticable with silence in the room. I held my hand over the unit and it was running hotter than I had ever noticed (I worked it hard tonight) and that there was some air coming out of the front right area of the receiver. About 30 seconds later, the sound went away. I paused a few other times during the movie and did not hear it, nor have I ever heard it before. Is this a "fail-safe" kind of thing that kicks in only in the worst conditions? I've always felt that the unit ran pretty cool considering I have it in an enclosed cabinet and push it pretty hard. Anybody know if there is a fan or am I just going crazy?

Chris

2. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

The funny thing is, I never knew my 8200 had a fan until I read your question and went and got a flashlight. My rack has open sides, so I could easily shine the light in the vent on the right side. Sure enough, all the way across the chassis on the other side is a fan. My 8200 has been on all day, and the fan wasn't turning at all. My wife isn't pushing it very hard though, I can hear her singing over Shania Twain. The fan must be temperature controlled. I've had my 8200 for a little over a year, and I'm pretty sure I never had it turn on, even when I was jamming real hard. I have very good cross ventilation around the sides, but only about 4 inches or so on top.

I would check the ventilation on your 8200 and make sure the top and sides aren't blocked. I can recommend a great open rack if you need one.

If only Dish Network had designed the cooling on my 6000u as well! [​IMG]

Thanks for asking the question!!

Pete

3. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Funny that you should mention open vs. closed racks. I am toying with the idea of replacing my old one-piece entertainment system with a separate rack and TV stand (who says I can't keep my 8200 and still have separates?). My 8200 does not have very good ventilation right now (no space on the sides, glass door in the front, about 4 inches of clearance on top, and open at the back, but fairly close to a wall. I have two problems with open racks though: my DirecTV/Tivo receiver has a pretty loud fan, and I have a two year old and five year old that love to push buttons and turn knobs. What is the rack that you recommend?

Chris

4. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

Chris, I have a Vantage Point Solus stand. It has 9.5" of space between shelves, and is 18" deep. It came with four black ash laminate shelves, but I also ordered a shelf addition kit so I could have 5 shelves for equipment. I purchased my unit from AudioMax a few years back. Including the extra shelf kit I believe it was about $379 shipped. AudioMax has it as a Contours brand, but it IS exactly the same as the Solus, and has Vantage Point on the box.

Vantage point makes other versions of the stand, they can be had at AudioAdvisor . The Altus is almost as nice as the Solus, and the Euro is much plainer, but also cheaper.

I looked long and hard for a stand that would fit my Pioneer Elite 301CD jukebox and the Pioneer Elite receiver that I had at the time. The lamination on this stand is furniture quality, and the tubes are hollow, so they can be filled with sand to deaden them. My wife and I both have been thrilled with it. Worth every penny. [​IMG] It looks great next to my RPTV.

Good luck!

Pete