1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Cooling fan for entertainment center

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Knight, Oct 9, 2001.

1. Jeff Knight

Jeff Knight Auditioning

Hello everyone. I have been a lurker here for quite a while and have learned a lot from everyone here, but I have a question that I have not seen discussed here before. All of my equipment is in an enclosed entertainment center, and up until now I have left the door open for cooling. Well, I finally bought some 120 volt fans from radio shack, and got the ones with the lowest fan speed so that they would be as quite as possible. I installed them, and they cool just fine, but they are just too loud. Where can you get fans that are quiet and not terribly expensive? Thanks for your help.

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have a fan from radio shack too so i can attest to it's loudness. i don't really use it anymore now that i'm using a separate amp to power everything which sits in the open atop my entertainment center. one member here recently posted a link to fans that he said were very quiet. i saved it just in case i get an enclosed rack one day. here it is:
    http://www.papst.de/english/products...dcaxial01.html
    i've never used these fans so i can't comment on how loud they operate but from what the original poster stated, they are very quiet. hope this helps.
    kevin t

3. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

4. Jeff Knight

Jeff Knight Auditioning

Thanks for the replies. The fan I got was rated at 35 db, which is fairly quite for a fan. Its not terribly noisy, but I can hear it when the volumne level is low, and that bugs me. I may have to try the fan speed control from Home Depot. That just may do the trick.

5. Mike Breeden

Mike Breeden Agent

I purchased the same Radio Shack fans as you did. I installed two, incoming/outgoing. The noise was too loud. I then bought a dimmer switch to adjust the voltage so that they would not be as loug but that did not work, they made a humming noise after that.
    I went and bought two 12v DC fans and an AC/DC converter with 1.5 to 12 volts range. This did the trick. I set them on about 6 volts and now I can not hear a thing.
    Just my two cents
    Mike

6. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

If you're not opposed to a bit of soldering and wiring, go to www.bgmicro.com and order a Panaflo 120mm fan (part no. FAN1045) for $5.99 along with a 68 watt switching power supply (part no. PWR1002) for $7.50. You might also want to get a project box to put the power supply in. I have several of the Panaflo fans for computer cooling and they seem very quiet to me. If you think it still might be too noisy you can wire a resistor or two in line to slow down the fan. BG Micro has a 2 Ohm 25 watt resistor that will handle the load easily and slow the fan down nicely.

7. Evelio Figueroa

8. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I recently bought a bunch of 80MM super silent case fans rated at 21dcb each. I have a power extension coming out of my HTPC attached to a fanbus that powers all of them. These things are so quite that the low hum from electronics drown the sound.

9. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

This has just become of interest to me. I tried leaving the door cracked but this did not appreciably cool my electronics. My enclosed rack (half of an armoire - the other half has the TV) retained enough heat to cook with.
    Becoming concerned about the life of my electronics, I went to the 'Shack a couple of days ago and bought a 12v power supply, a 12v 3" fan and some wire nuts and a connector to wire to the fan for the power supply.
    I decided to yank the back panel off the rack and cut out a bunch of access panels so I could get to the connections easier.. and just decided to leave the entire back panel off.
    I figured that panel might have some structural aspect.. but thought that by the time I got thru butchering it up for rear access, any strength it offered would be compromised anyway.. just decided to leave it off.
    Of course, leaving off the back panel, I had no place to mount an exhaust fan, so I took back all the cooling gear I bought. Temps are well below what they used to be (using the feelgood method).
    ------------------
    --RR

10. Jon_R

Jon_R Stunt Coordinator

FWIW the suggestion for 120mm Panaflow fans gets my vote.
    Those small 80mm fans from RS aren't that good. The smaller the fan, the more noise it will make, usually. If you slow the fan down, it will make less noise, if it is a small fan moving slow, it will move less air. Go with a bigger fan, they are quieter anyway, and slow it down.
    Keep us informed, I'm curious about this.
    Jon

11. Evelio Figueroa

12. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

I've been thinking of how to cool my MR-60705 rack (Mits rack). Thanks for the Panaflo link.
    I want to add a removable back cover to my rack like this Diamond Case, but with a more sturdy construction, to hide cables and attach fans to. The cover on the DC is on the thin side. What do you think about the back cover idea? Will it defeat the cooling purpose of added fans?
    Thanks

13. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

BUMP...Anyone?

14. Jay Heyl

Jay Heyl Stunt Coordinator

If you put the fans in the right place, adding a back to the rack could actually improve the cooling. If you have the rack completely enclosed you get much better control over how air flows inside the case. Put some intakes at the bottom and fans blowing out at the top and it should work fine. If the rack is not completely enclosed, then you're limited to spot cooling with individual fans and the back will probably work against you a bit.

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    I have a question concerning fans..
    Which way is the best way to cool down a peice of electronic equipment if you only have one fan:
    Pumping cool air INTO the compoent, or Pulling hot air out of the component???
    I have a small CPU fan that came out of an old computer, and i rigged it up to a DC adaptor-plug with a 9V adaptor. its a fairly small fan, but i did use it on my DPL processor used with my computer and it did cool it down substantially even with its size. Its broken right now because one of the wires came loose, but once its fixed, i plan to put it onto my reciever, but i just dunno whihc is better, pumping out hot air, or pumping in cool air...
    Im not sure about pumping in fresh air into the reciever, as the top of the reciever is about 3-4 inches from the top of my rack, so im not sure if there is much cool air under there...
    for visuals, see my HT link in my signature...
    ------------------
    The So Family Home Theater!
    http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
    You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine

16. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

I have a similar situation with an enclosed rack. I asked the engineers at work (a networking equipment co) and tehy agreed that the best soln was:
    put the receiver at top
    leave the back on the rack
    have a fan blow air out at the back top
    have an opening in the bottom of the back to draw air in
    cover the opening with a piece of filter to keep dust down
    Bob