What's new

Cooling fan for component cabinet (1 Viewer)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I would like to add a cooling fan to my component cabinet. I have a closed cabinet with the following devices:

Arcam Alpha 8R used a preamp
Arcam Alpha 9 CD player

The CD player tends to run warm

Bryston 4B-ST amp - they do run warm

I have never installed a fan - even in a computer - before, so I am looking for advice.

What can I buy? AC or DC?
How is it powered - if DC I assume I need a transformer?
How will this equipment plugged into the same outlet as my equipment effect the sound?
How will a transformer effect radio (AM/FM) reception?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike

TommyL

Supporting Actor
how about those little clip on fans they sell? ac power,a nd 5 bucks:) They have a chip clip type deal on them...should be quiet...we have a few at work..tl

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
If you are not handy with wires, a small AC powered fan usually works great. Many times you have a receiver with a "switched outlet" on the back. Plugging the fan into this jack turns the fan on when the receiver goes on.

But - just circulating the air in a closed box wont do much. You really need to push air in at the bottom, or blow air out at the top.

Some people have bought the small "Muffin Fans" from places like Radio Shack and cut openings near the bottom shelf at the back/sides. The muffin fans simply attach with wood screws and blow air into the cabinent. Another opening is cut at the top to allow hot air to vent.

You can get 120Volt AC fans which are the easiest. But some people dont like the fan noise. You can also get smaller 12 volt DC fans and a "Universal Battery Eliminator" from Radio Shack. Use the battery eliminator set to 12 volts to start. If the fan noise is too large, change the voltage to 9.6, 6.0 ... until the fans still spin but the noise is reduced.

You can even get fancy. Your local CompUSA/Frys have TONS of fans ment for customizing a PC for games. They have fans with built-in temp sensors, multi-colored LED's, over-temp alarms, etc. They also have "Fan Controllers" for about $25 that have 4 wires for fans, and 4 temperature sensors you attach to the equipment. They can display the current temp, you can assign set-points at which fans will turn on, or they have knobs so you have manual, variable control of 4 fans. These all use standard PC drive power connectors so if you have a spare PC Power supply from an old computer - you can simply plug things together.

But you have to have openings for the heat to escape. Fans wont cool, just circulate.

macuser

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Robinson
Originally Posted by Doug_H ">[/url]

I know this thread is old but since I have been working on a fix for this problem I thought I would revive it.

I just ordered one of these with a temp control.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks