What's new

Coolest looking Box/Gift Sets Around... (1 Viewer)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Well, you got several options. You can go to a shop that sells china and by racks that are made for fine plates or you can go to IKEA that has lots of small racks. But the rack on the picture is from http://www.jpscorner.com/default.htm look under the category "Easels" and that one on your pic is the large one.

The one to the left is medium, the one in the middle is the large and the rack to the left is from IKEA who also has aluminium racks.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

And he does this ^, what is that? I have never used a ^ , in my whole keyboard career. :)

Almost as bad as the old-timers around here who still quote like this : >>>>>>>quote

Runar_R

Second Unit
Coppola sold that at his winery in Napa Valley. But I don't think it's still being offered..... unfortunatly
:frowning:

Spero D

Second Unit

Just added it to my shopping list.

Peter Svensson- What Regions are the following as I may pick them up-

- Halloween (Tin) Is this R2 Germany?
- Titanic Back Pack Is this R2 France?
- Red Dragon?
- Jack Ryan is R2 Germany?
- Star Trek: Nemesis Tin?
- Gangs of New York?

Sten F- Chicago which region?

Thanks,
Spero

Spero D

Second Unit

X-Files Brazil Cabinent Draw with Lock Boxset.

Men In Black Kit R2 Japan

Classic Monsters Collection

Just found this. OMG. Does anyone where it is for sale?

Planet Of The Apes Tin

Can't forget the Alien Head from Japan. Wish I got in early on the preorder :frowning:

Rambo Trilogy Tin

Band Of Brothers Korean

Dances With Wolves Leather Case Korean

Something that I wish was available.

Showgirls VIP Edition R1.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
- Halloween - R2Germany
- Titanic - R2France
- Red Dragon - R2Japan
- Jack Ryan - R2Germany
- Star Trek: Nemesis - R2Germany
- Gangs of New York - R2France
- Chicago - R2Japan

Althought most of them are OOP now.

Scott Aruti

Stunt Coordinator
Two sets that sit in my collection that have my vote are: The Nightmare On Elm Street Collection (received from my girl for my b-day last year) with a really cool design where if your DVDs are facing outward from the box, it looks like Freddy standing there with his glove behind his back, and, although its not a "box set" by normal standards, the newly released "Escape From New York" two disc box set (MGM calls it a box set) Special Collectors Edition....man, is this package gorgeous...features raised lettering with Kurt Russell crouching under the rubble of downtown Manhattan on the cover...in a bronze sort of color...really awesome. The whole thing folds out to a huge layout on your table, with two discs, a comic book and loads of other extras. A necessity for fans of Carpenter's masterpiece.

Spero D

Second Unit
R2 Japan Harry Potter Boxset-

R3 Korea Lord Of The Rings Tin-

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Renewal of Evangelion DVD-BOX

Borg Mega Cube: Star Trek The Next Generation: Seasons 1-7 - Limited Edition R2 Germany

LAurel & Hardy R2 UK Boxset-

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
wow. I want so much. why do these american DVDs get luscious packaging in markets outside the US? I'm not trying to be elitist, but I know tons of people who would buy that Harry Potter set.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
It's all about the economics and exceptions to the norm that everyone involved has to deal with - plus having someone at the studio really into something like this who is willing to shepherd it from concept to store shelf.

Costs for limited editions are high - both in small production runs and high reject rates, limiting profits. At the retail price points involved both the producer and the consumer expect perfection - so no sloppy printing or packaging, or messed up authoring on the actual discs themselves. Collectors will notice each and every element involved in the set, as well they should for what they pay.

Retailers need major markups on items like this - and then they have to figure where to put the item in their stores since it is likely a non-standard size and price point. We won't even get into having the proper sales staff there to explain the unique features of the product to the customer.

And of course you always have to deal with the ultimate question in any sales scenario - what if too few sell, or possibly no one wants to buy it at all. The losses can be horrific in an age where the people you work for (even in the notoriously fickle entertainment industry) only expect sales and profits to go up each quarter, no matter what the actual marketplace may reflect.

One need only look at the recent rather drastic price cut on the Schindler's List box to see the problems involved (although on that one I think the studio did it more for an out of touch director, on a title that may have been too late to market, rather than put something together that would better entice a collector).

Just ask George Feltenstein - he can tell you some heartbreaking stories about some LD sets he worked so hard on (Meet Me in St. Louis was one) - that thanks to a robust DVD marketplace he can do much more profitably as an SE now.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Also, as the rest of the world regularly imports R1 titles, I think some of the enhanced packaging is used to entice the hardcore importers to buy local.

America doesn't really need to make an effort because most of the population probably don't even understand region codes and wouldn't dream of importing discs. America releases bascially have no competition - international releases do.

Alex K.

Agent

Yeah, he just made my black list :D

Nah, maybe a was just overreacting because DVD and Denmark dont make a good match. Stupid politicians making it illegal to sell DVD's from outside Europe dont exactly make it any better. Thank god I have my computer and my visa ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks