What's new

Cool World (1 Viewer)

I know most people hate this movie but I for one would buy this on DVD in a heartbeat, I would love to add it to my collection of Ralph Bakshi films, I wish we would get all his films on DVD but I guess I will have to settle for the few we do have.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I was wondering where this one was just the other day. It's not all bad, I mean it's not "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" but it's decent. Maybe some day.

JohnAP

Second Unit
I just put up a thread about Bakshi films on dvd and then I saw this one.
I think Paramount has the rights to this, but I'm not sure. I don't think they own any other Bakshi films.

Not all his movies are winners, but there are a few I think are really entertaining and all should at least be made available on dvd. I guess Lord of the Rings was a no-brainer, but Cool World and some of the others have enough of an audience to merit a release.

Eric F

Screenwriter
Hmm. I caught this one on HBO-HD last week and thought it was dreadfull.

At any rate I'd really like to see Wizards come out one of these days.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
This disc is barebones-no trailers or anything. At least it will be in anamorphic widescreen at 1.85:1 and a cheap list price at $19.99.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I usually like Bakshi's stuff quite a bit, but COOL WORLD was a mess. Does anyone know if the film was heavily edited before release, because to be honest, it feels disjointed and unfinished.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, COOL WORLD was, like most Bakshi movies, intended to be an adult, R-rated movie, and at the 11th hour, producers Victor/Grais had the movie reedited to a PG-13 to try to open the potential audience up. But of course, that rendered the movie too tame for the Bakshi fans and just too confusing for kids.
I hope that enough fans buy the disc so that Paramount will consider a special edition later on, to allow Bakshi to edit the film back to its R-rated intents. I also miss the really enticing teaser they made, but I suppose it's liberal use of Art of Noise's cover of "Peter Gunn" renders it too expensive. Again, maybe in a special edition.

In a perfect world, Paramount would reacquire Bakshi's previous outing for them, the controversial Uncle Remus reimagination COONSKIN. Paramount dropped the film, the defunct (and mob-operated) Bryanston company released it, and the defunct Academy label released it on tape as STREET FIGHT. It would be great to have it back in a clean quality edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks