What's new

Cool OSX Tips - Share Your Favorites (1 Viewer)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
ok...this will really blow all of your minds then...

ctrl + option + apple + 8

hit all four keys together again to go back...

This is very useful on laptops if you are working in bright light or sunlight conditions outside...etc...

:D

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
That's wicked! Always learning something new about this danged machine.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
That was pretty cool. There is an application (from the guy who built Quicksilver I believe) that does the same thing, with a ton of options. Cool to know it's built into OS X.

CJ

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
This is my new favorite feature. Not sure how often I will use it, but it's my favorite because I just discovered it :)

Hold down ctrl and scroll up on your mouse button. OS X is so bitchin.

CJ

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The reversed colors and the zoom are both part of the Universal Access Control Panel. Check it out for more useful interface options.

-Scott

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I need some tips :)

* Is there a way to un-miniaturize application windows, besides clicking the icons in the dock? This is confounding my Windows-wired brain: CMD-Tab shows the application but won't bring up mini'd windows.

* How do I tell Safari to open new-window links in a new tab, instead. I do this in FireFox on my PC. Can Safari do it?

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
I ran across Witch during my mac research you may find useful for minimized windows. Like windows alt-tab combo.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Daryl, I'll be trying that :emoji_thumbsup: I was also wondering how to alt-tab through individual windows, and Witch addresses that.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Bring up the dictionary list of words while composing mail!

In Mail.app, while composing an email, type the first few letters of a word and hit the Escape key. Scroll up and down the list with the arrow keys.

I've used Mac OS X since its inception, and I just discovered this yesterday!

- Steve

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For links that are set to open a new window, like links in HTF posts or in Gmail messages, Safari cannot be made to open these in anything but a new window -- the CMD-Click doesn't work. (perhaps an extension will do it, but I couldn't find one for Safari 3)

So, to get new-window links to open in new tabs, switch to Firefox :D (just like on my PC) Probably most people don't care, but this was really bugging me.

I'm still working to get Witch ingrained in my habits, but it's a great little utility. Thanks for that Daryl!

ErichH

Screenwriter
OK - Time for some more basics

Customize any finder window toolbar under View/Customize Toolbar (finder's up front guys) - Drag the +folder up there if you hate using a key command - few other helpful items - remove stuff, etc. Also rearrange - drag stuff left right while the drop down is open. Go Nuts

Rearrange the icons next to your clock (top right) - hold the command key and drag em. Some icons stick to the far left, but Apple's will move. The clock too.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Incase somebody isn't aware. In any finder window Cmd+Click at the top of the finder window on the little icon or name of the folder location to see the path.

Bob_Chase

Stunt Coordinator
For quick access to Applications in any Finder window:

-Open a new Finder window
-Navigate to your Applications
-Drag one of your Application icons onto the top of the Finder window right next to the search box but don't release the mouse button (give it a few seconds and the search box will slide over and your cursor will change to a green "+" icon then drop it)
-You now have 1-click access to that application (I find it better than the Dock)

You can also do this for frequently accessed folders and files

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For some reason apple-Q and other hotkeys arent working on my macbook, guess I never tested them. Is it possible I'be somehow disabled them?

Dont seem to have a right side option key...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks