What's new

Cool new Buttkicker Digital amp (1 Viewer)

Martice

Screenwriter
First off, I'd like to say that the Mark I spoke to at Guitammer is actually Marvin. I don't know what I was thinking.

Our first priorities with this project were BK power quality, time to market, and price. I'll let you know as things progress.
Secondly, a gentleman who received one of the power buy amps said that he understands our concerns and that it makes sense to move cautiously on this product if you are planning to use it in any other way than what it was designed for.

Anyway, he is going to hook up the amp to his sub tomorrow and give me a call and let me know what he finds after some "critical" listening.

If this amp proves to be competent in it's design and performance, other companies planning to release amps will have a high bar to surpass.

** Another thought is that Guitammer may see an opportunity in this small but growing market and say that the current BK amp is not recommended for subs but they have plans to come out with a newer version that will work for both. Of course they will charge us another $100 or so to get it.

Reaching again?

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Brian,

Ah, true enough. Hope this Buttkicker amp is the ticket. I don't want to have to bite the bullet and step up to a K1 or K2, like some of you are doing. :)

Martice

Screenwriter
Ah, true enough. Hope this Buttkicker amp is the ticket. I don't want to have to bite the bullet and step up to a K1 or K2, like some of you are doing.
I hear you Gabe. A pro amp is still very much attractive especially if you have another room you can put it in. Actually where I have my QSC RMX850 is in the room next to the theater room and all I had to do it was buy 15ft. of cable with a 1/4" connector on one side and a RCA on the other.

I have the inside track on a K1 for $700 from a studio owner I know. He seemed eager yesterday but looked a little wet in the pants today. It was a "definitely" yesterday and a "give me until Friday" today.

This is why I took my QSC off of the "Hardware for sale" list.

The power is clean robust and more than what I need for my present driver (whenever it gets here) and any future upgrades.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Actually, you might as well pay the extra $50 (less actually, since shipping is free) and get the XLS402. 800w bridged at 8 ohm, and 1140w into 4 ohm bridged. It's more than twice the power and after ground shipping, the price difference comes out to $25.17.

Crown XLS402, $299.99 shipped.

I think I'm going to head over to Brian's place and steal his K2. *grin*

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Gabriel,

It would be a lot easier to just head over to Tony Gomez' place and steal his K2. At least you guys are in the same state! :)

Martice

Screenwriter
What's the deal with the K series amps having a sleep mode that seems to kick in only after a minute of inactivity for the sub? I also read that the response time for the K amps to kick in is pretty slow for HT standards.

Any info on this subject?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
There is a 'fix' for the sleep mode with the "K" series power amps. It involves changing out a couple of resistors. Details were included in a post on this forum a couple of years ago. I did a search but can't locate it.

If you start a new thread with that as the title I'm sure whoever did this mod will post the info. Or just email Crown, that's where the info came from to begin with.

Martice

Screenwriter
Anybody notice that there have been no reviews of this amp. The boys at "indefinitely baffled" haven't chimed in and no one from AVS has given any feedback regarding the Butt Kicker amp being used as a subwoofer amp either.

The silence is deafening.

Maybe it was too good to be true?

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't read too much into it. Who even has one yet who's using it in this fashion? You should order one and find out for sure.

Martice

Screenwriter
I think I'm now forced to be patient because I'm not popping for one until the jury is in.

Jack didn't you say you wanted some Butt Kickers? ;)

Marv

Stunt Coordinator
Musiciansfriend.com is showing the B.K. amp in stock now.
Has anyone used it yet?

Keeping the thread alive!

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Has anyone used this on any of the forums (heck I haven't even seen a review of this running even one of the buttkicker transducers!)? I'm amazed that it's been out this long and not even one user report noted.

Martice

Screenwriter
Yeah, no idea how clean it might sound. Only $399 at Musician's Friend. Jerry McNutt mentioned this one over at the IB Cult, he's going to try one with his IB and let us know.
The above was posted on March 1st and I haven't heard a peep. However, if someone used it as a subwoofer amp and didn't like it, I'm sure we would have heard about it.

Then again....

Greg Yeatts

Second Unit
I keep waiting for reviews on this amp. I would like an amp with lots of power and auto on and off. I haven't seen to many bargain amps with the auto on feature. I hope this beast works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks