Cool Hand Luke - upcoming UK region 2 bare bones?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Gordon McMurphy, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The UK finally sees a DVD edition of Cool Hand Luke on February 13th - almost a staggering nine years after the region 1 release. It looks like a bare bones affair, which is very disappointing. But will it have an all-new transfer, at least? The Australian region 4 edition is NTSC, not PAL. From what I have read, the region 1 and 4 editions, although anamorphic, are typical of the old Warner days: fairly sharp in close-up; no digital clean-up/colour-correction; grainy, etc. Nothing like their exemplary efforts today. This was a landmark film and its popularity endures strongly and a 2-disc SE would be a big seller.

Here's the Amazon.co.uk listing.

Any thoughts?

2. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Are the Warner UK editions as good as the Warner R1 editions? I mean are the R2UK editions restored in the same way and have equal PQ as the R1 editions? Does the UK editions have the digipack or slipcase packaging? Has this release been announced for R1? If not, this is a must buy.

3. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Peter, this isn't a remastered special edition - or at least it doesn't appear to be. It is, more likely than not, a bare bones edition.

On occassion, UK editions of Warner DVDs lose out on extras (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre) but the transfers are usually derived from the same hi-def, restored transfers.

The main problem with Warner UK (or Europe) compared to Warner USA, is that many titles released in region 1 don't get released at all. For example:

Night Moves
    Scarecrow
    Point Blank
    WestWorld
    Forbidden Planet
    The Public Enemy
    White Heat
    Angels with Dirty Faces
    Little Caesar
    The Petrified Forest
    The Roaring Twenties
    Bad Day at Black Rock
    Advise and Consent
    The Americanization of Emily
    Fury
    I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
    A Face in the Crowd
    The Asphalt Jungle

I live in the UK, but I mostly buy region 1 discs. But there are titles that I would like to rent that are not available.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

This is one of my most wanted 2-Disc Special Editions from Warner...

5. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    I reckon R1 will be seeing a 2-disc release of this in 2006, so there's not a chance in hell that I'll be buying that barebones R2 disc [​IMG]

6. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Gordon: Doesn´t bare bones mean that there will be no significant extramaterial? So it could be a remastered transfer despite the fact that it is a bare bones edition? Personally I don´t care so much about extras, but I want the best A/V quality as possible.

7. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

It might be an all-new remaster. Although, when Warner do this, they usually create special features as well. There aren't many Warner remasters that remain bare-boned. A 2-disc SE of this film would be a HUGE seller - people love this film and it's one of Newman's best and was a landmark film in so many ways.

8. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

awesome indeed.

Is this out in r1 ?