What's new

Cool Hand Luke - upcoming UK region 2 bare bones? (1 Viewer)

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The UK finally sees a DVD edition of Cool Hand Luke on February 13th - almost a staggering nine years after the region 1 release. It looks like a bare bones affair, which is very disappointing. But will it have an all-new transfer, at least? The Australian region 4 edition is NTSC, not PAL. From what I have read, the region 1 and 4 editions, although anamorphic, are typical of the old Warner days: fairly sharp in close-up; no digital clean-up/colour-correction; grainy, etc. Nothing like their exemplary efforts today. This was a landmark film and its popularity endures strongly and a 2-disc SE would be a big seller.

Here's the Amazon.co.uk listing.

Any thoughts?

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Are the Warner UK editions as good as the Warner R1 editions? I mean are the R2UK editions restored in the same way and have equal PQ as the R1 editions? Does the UK editions have the digipack or slipcase packaging? Has this release been announced for R1? If not, this is a must buy.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Peter, this isn't a remastered special edition - or at least it doesn't appear to be. It is, more likely than not, a bare bones edition.

On occassion, UK editions of Warner DVDs lose out on extras (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre) but the transfers are usually derived from the same hi-def, restored transfers.

The main problem with Warner UK (or Europe) compared to Warner USA, is that many titles released in region 1 don't get released at all. For example:

Night Moves
Scarecrow
Point Blank
WestWorld
Forbidden Planet
The Public Enemy
White Heat
Angels with Dirty Faces
Little Caesar
The Petrified Forest
The Roaring Twenties
Bad Day at Black Rock
Advise and Consent
The Americanization of Emily
Fury
I am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang
A Face in the Crowd
The Asphalt Jungle

I live in the UK, but I mostly buy region 1 discs. But there are titles that I would like to rent that are not available.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I reckon R1 will be seeing a 2-disc release of this in 2006, so there's not a chance in hell that I'll be buying that barebones R2 disc :thumbsdown:

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Gordon: Doesn´t bare bones mean that there will be no significant extramaterial? So it could be a remastered transfer despite the fact that it is a bare bones edition? Personally I don´t care so much about extras, but I want the best A/V quality as possible.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
It might be an all-new remaster. Although, when Warner do this, they usually create special features as well. There aren't many Warner remasters that remain bare-boned. A 2-disc SE of this film would be a HUGE seller - people love this film and it's one of Newman's best and was a landmark film in so many ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks