1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Cool Hand Luke (underlying meaning)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Perry Jonkheer, Jul 16, 2002.

1. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

Cool Hand Luke is one of my favorite movies. Have seen it at least 5 times. However, I have always gotten the feeling it had some sort of underlying meaning. Is this true, and if so what is it?? Any and all comments are appreciated.

Thank You.

2. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I always felt there was a lot of imagery that made Luke into a Christ figure, such as: Luke talking to God in the church a la the Garden of Gethsemene, the inmates taking the rice from his plate a la the Last Supper/ holy communion, in the last scene as they pull up, the road forms a cross, Luke emerging from the "box" is a kind of resurrection, George Kennedy is an unintentional Judas just before Luke gets shot. Then, of course, there's that famous bible story where Jesus eats 50 eggs (just kidding about that one, but could you stretch the point and make that a loaves and fishes reference?). I'm sure there are others. My college roommate wrote a paper on this topic for a film class.

This is a great movie, one of my favorites, I must have seen it 20 times.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

4. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Don't forget his prisoner number: "37", considered by many Christian historians as the "perfect number". there are numerous others, and I wish I could recall them all.

Yes, the whole movie is a Christ allegory, and one of the best in terms of disguising it.

5. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

John Spencer-- what's the significance of the number 37?

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Hmmm - Cool Hand Luke reminds me a lot of Shawshank Redemption. No matter how many rights are taken away from a person - no one can take away what makes you - you.

Your inner spirit, sense of self worth, the ability to have hope in the most direst circumstances - that is yours to control. Or to give control away to others.

7. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

8. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

9. Perry Jonkheer

Perry Jonkheer Second Unit

10. Jeff Pounds

Jeff Pounds Second Unit

11. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I adhere to the Christ comparison... there are many scenes where this is eveident... after eating the eggs he is lying on the table arms stretched and feet crossed, naked but for a small cloth around his waist... this is the most obvious of these shots...

Cheers,