What's new

Cool Hand Luke... Special Edition ? (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
This was one of Warners early DVD's if I'm not mistaken and it seems to be as bare bones as they come...

What are the chances we'll see a Special Edition of this title in the next little while?

Paul Mazz

Grip
Saw this on sale at Circuit City for $7.49. Any input on the quality of the transfer, or if a Special Edition is in the offing any time soon?

StevenFC

Second Unit
Well, as the person who asked this same question at the last Warner chat, I can tell you that there are no plans for a SE. But I think it'll likely happen in '07 for the 30th anniversary. Just a guess.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Yeah, I thought I remembered the question being asked about at the last chat. I was shocked that there were no plans. This is certainly a classic, and WB has yet to do a Paul Newman doc on a DVD if I remember correctly. Not an AFI Top 100 film, but it had to have come close, and Luke made #30 on AFI's 50 Heroes list. It's also definitely got some of the classics lines and moments in film history. Easily worthy of a 2-disc. I'd buy it in an instant.

Jacob Robertson

Auditioning
I just emailed an online retailer as I went to purchase Cool Hand Luke, but it seemed to have disappeared from their stock listings. They got back to me The title has been discountinued.

Meh - useless piece of information, but if the disc has been discontinued, it may mean a re-release isn't too far away.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Sounds like you and the online retailer have had a "failure to communicate". :D

I've seen the snapper of Cool Hand Luke show up in a lot of bargain bins lately. That is sometimes a sure sign that a re-release is comin' quickly down the road.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Paul Mazz

Re The NTSC transfer

Great colors, widescreen and clear audio

When you've a great movie like this you become oblivious to the occasional artifact.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Warner will be releasing a Paul Newman boxset later this year and I would be shocked if this title isn't a 2-disc SE in that upcoming boxset. Even though he has played several great film characters, this role was Newman's signature one.

Crawdaddy

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
i found mine last year for 10$.great transfer great sound bare bones in terms of extras.if you can pick it up.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Amazingly, Warner UK are just getting around to releasing the film on DVD - almost nine years after the region 1 edition! It is bare bones. Indeed, a 2-disc SE is long overdue.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison
Just thought I wouldn't start a new thread, but I was reading online over the weekend that Donn Pearce will be participating in one of the featurettes on the new DVD.

He isn't very errr......enamoured of Stuart Rosenberg.:D

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

I just found some random site that involved the producer of the DVD interviewing Donn Pearce. I stumbled across it looking for a DVD site a mate recommended to me. I will see if I can find it again.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
No pressure, Beth! I'll have a look for it myself. Anyway, I'm just glad that a SE is on the way, as I see this movie as one of the first examples of great 'modern color cinematography' along with The Graduate (1967, Robert Surtees) and The Charge of the Light Brigade (1968, David Watkin). The dusk scenes are incredibly beautiful. Conrad Hall almost single-handedly advanced the art of cinematography in Hollywood. It's a shame that he is no longer with us, as his participation in this DVD would have been essential.

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

I remember Connie Hall saying on the Butch Cassidy commentary (and I am sure that Crawdaddy would remember being right next to him ;) ), that he was shooting the part when Luke and the other prisoners were coming out of the van newly arrived at the prison. Warners made him shoot the scene five times because they said "they paid for Paul Newman's baby blue eyes, so they wanted Newman's baby blue eyes". :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks