Cool computer desks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ToddJ, Sep 9, 2002.

1. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

I'm looking to buy a new desk. However, I want one that is modern looking. I do not want one that is wood colored. I want one that is either black, grey, or a futuristic looking metal one....any suggestions? (Unfortunately, I am on a tight budget too.)

2. ToddJ

ToddJ Second Unit

Any other suggestions? I know that Circuit City has a cool grey one, but it is a little out of my price range. Has anyone built their own desk?

3. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I bought a very cool and large V shaped desk at Office Max last year and it has survived two moves. The bottom is black and the top is grey. Best part, I only paid $149 for it.

4. Dan D.

Dan D. Stunt Coordinator

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also bought my desk at office max. it's similar to this one:
    http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=536993708
    but i couldn't find my exact model. anyway, it's pretty sturdy...although with the glass top i'd be hesitant to put a really big (heavy) monitor on it. (my next monitor is going to be a LCD though, so it's not really an issue.) it's very modern and sleek looking.
    metallic silver, powder-coated appearance for the metal. nice frosted greenish-tint for the glass.
    they even shipped it to my place for free. cost me about 140 bucks (i think)....

6. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Cool?

I'd look for one thats well designed.

Casters, so you can move it for access.

The first one I got had a 1" thick large panel almost entirely covering the back lower part of the desk - had to use a power saw to cut a big enough opening to let me even see what cables went into which ports.

Inadequate strength - the surface of this one bends - even with a 15" monitor.

The slide-out tray, is it firm? This one jiggles.

I just got a new desk a few months ago, it looks "cool", but its not on casters, and the layout is less than efficient.

I should take my own advice!!

Good luck

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Buzz: I'd like more info on this - where's this thread at? Do you have pictures online somewhere, or instructions on how you went about building it?

I'd love to build a computer desk. I want a full wrap-around unit for my computer room. Something that wraps around the entire room (multiple pieces, of course). My "ideal" desk would have to be custom built. I have too many hair-brained ideas that nothing I could find commercially would be "ideal".

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

one of my roommates just got a corner glass top office max desk....looks like something out of corporate america !

9. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator