What's new

Convincing Walmart there is a market for Widescreen (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I, like many others, buy my DVDs from Best Buy, Circuit City, Costco, and the Internet. Occasionally I have reason to get them from elsewhere, but generally for some excellent sale.

Would it be wise for we at the HTF to focus on buying our DVDs at Walmart for a time? Since they offer price matching, arm ourselves with the circular offering the lowest price and buy the WIDESCREEN version of any given DVD at Walmart - communicating to customer service how happy we are they have widescreen, or how displeased we are if they don't (whether the title exists as such or not).

It seems this would be the only effective measure in assuring OAR is prominent or at least maintained. Of course, it would be unfair to the other retailers, but I have no other ideas.

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Unfortunately, I think they probably know that there is a market, but the market for FS is greater and more powerful. If a consumer unwittingly buys a Widescreen DVD when he just wanted his screen filled, Walmart has to process his return. Whereas, the more informed OAR/WS devotee knows to check the aspect ratio before buying. Walmart just wants to keep their customers happy and avoid returns. No matter how many we buy, it won't prevent the "Return scenario".

Education is obviously the key. Maybe Walmart could do it (With signs and whatnot, and buy keeping the WS and FS DVD clearly marked and separated), but I don't think they want to, and would rather ignore it or push the problem off to the studios.

I think that Sony should make some $399 widescreen TVs. That would saturate the market, and then people would realize what fools thay've been and demand widescreen. Ahh, I can only dream.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
So we should go to Walmart, buy a bunch of 'Fullscreen' DVDs and then return them saying that they lied. The box says 'Fullscreen' yet on my widescreen tv on the center is being used. Hardly full screen if you ask me.

We just have to act as annoying and ignorant as those that return widescreen discs because they don't 'fill' their screen. Retails cave to complaints, it is time they heard ours...LOUD!

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Buy P&S, (make sure they also have WS). Then go back and return it saying you want the Widescreen version. You feel you're getting ripped off because you are not getting the black bars. :D

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it seems that wal marts are carrying both versions when 2 are there. shouldnt we target blockbuster since they have now started getting full frame only for recent titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation822
Recent bookmarks