convincing about widescreen !!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by kevin_tomb, Mar 5, 2002.

1. kevin_tomb

kevin_tomb Stunt Coordinator

I sale TVs for a living and we always use DVDs to show off our TVs. Now of course we always use the widescreen version like the movie was intented to be watched. We get the most problems from OLD people. Almost every one of them has some dumbass comment about the widescreen. Some of my favorites are: "can you take those black bars off?" or "whats wrong with that TV?" or "How do they expect anyone to watch those DVDs??" or "Well im gonna wait a few years cause this DVD thing is so new still"

Younger people generally seem to understand widescreen, for the most part. I usually try to tell them about how they are missing up to about half the picture and sometimes they almost seem to understand, until they fire back..."YEAH BUT IM ALSO MISSING THE PART WHERE THE BLACK IS TOO RIGHT???" aarrghhhhhhh!!!!!!

2. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

How about rolling the Why widescreen segment from Die Hard on one of the TVs?

--Anders

3. Brian Shannon

Brian Shannon Stunt Coordinator

How about a demo where you have two identical TV's, two identical dvd players and two identical dvd's. One OAR and one P/S. Run them both at the same time and use that to educate people.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I think the analogy of movie screen vs. TV screen is sometimes the most straightforward.
    Movie screens are rectangles, wider than high. TV is a square (for all intents and purposes). You can't fit a rectangle in a square unless you cut off the sides.
    Perhaps if you had one of those toys that little kids have, putting the right shapes in the right shaped holes. Just have one with a rectangle and a square. Challenge them to put the rectangle piece in the square hole (without upending it, of course). Some knowledge of basic geometry and proportions always helps, as well. [​IMG]
    Then there's always the computer analogy. If you're sizing photos or graphics, you generally drag it by the corner so the aspect ratio stays the same (as it gets narrower, it also gets shorter) To translate this to OAR, if you could click on the corner to drag the widescreen movie theater image to fit onto a narrow TV screen, the height of the image also gets shorter (necessitating the black bars).
    On a related note to those who work in electronics retail, do any of your customers ever complain about TV programs having the "black bars"? I've recently been amazed about the number of weekly TV programs that now present in widescreen quite often (ER, West Wing, Angel, Ally McBeal, Boston Public, etc.). Must drive the J6P's nuts to have all their TV programs letterboxed! [​IMG]

5. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

It's sad that so much creativity and effort has to go into explaining basic grade school geometry to educated adults (and most of them still don't get it).

6. Eric S M

Eric S M Agent

Kevin,
    Try printing some examples from the following website to show the customers. It shows for several movies the same scene in both widescreen and pan/scan.
    A picture's worth a 1000 words.
    http://www.widescreen.org/examples.shtml
    -Eric

7. Dan M

Dan M Second Unit

The sad thing about this whole educating the masses about widescreen vs. pan and scan is simply this:

Most people just don't care.

It's not that most don't understand it's just that they d o n 't r e a l l y c a r e.

They want their 31" or whatever TV screen filled up from top to bottom. It's that simple. You can explain to them about art and how much picture is being lobbed off but most folks still just want to see their whole tv screen occupied, no matter what.

This has been my experience with trying to educate the masses.

I've 'bout given up.

8. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

Hey, where is that Die Hard segment on widesreen on the disc?

9. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

Show them Lawrence of Arabia or 2001 in Widescreen, then show them in P&S and they'll see.

10. Richard RogersBerry

Why not just screen a film whose OAR is 185:1? I have a modest collection of DVD's (220) and an awful lot of them are 185:1. I also have Mits 55809. A film with that OAR is going to fill the screen.

I was in B.B. one day just checking out the RPTV and they had a 16x9 next to a 4:3 showing the same feed. The couple was definitly going to get a set that day and they were looking. He says, "Well which one do you like the best" and she says "They both have a nice picture."

I could tell she was leaning toward the 4:9 (space concerns maybe). I said, "Excuse me, but do you ever watch movies?" They said yes that they watched movies a lot. "Then why would you want to cut off the sides of the picture?" (The side by side sets were obvious in this regard).

They both looked again and their mouths fell open and she said, "I hadn't noticed that!"

They bought the 16x9 RPTV and the BB dude wouldn't even give me a discount on my cables!!

11. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp

12. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

I agree, some people don't know, but most people understand, and just want their screen filled.

My one friend insists that she loves fullscreen. I explained to her the benefits of widescreen. She understood, but said that she didn't care if a little extra was on the sides, she wanted her screen filled.

Sadly, most people don't even know that widescreen exists. My mother doesn't even notice when a widescreen show comes on (but she prefers it to fullscreen now...I changed her).

I asked my friend who bought American Pie 2, which version it was..."Unrated" "Fullscreen, or widescreen?" "What do you mean?"

13. Aaron Croft

Aaron Croft Stunt Coordinator

I think that all DVD's should run a "news ticker" in your "black bars" so that you could fill the screen. I want an entertainment news ticker at the top, and stock quotes at the bottom. Plus I think the whole left half of the screen should be filled with movie-previews and car commercials. Also, every once in a while I want that little "clippy" guy from MS office to pop up and ask me if I have any questions about the DVD.
    Plus I wish they would make movies shorter, like cut out all of the boring stuff.
    Sign my petition to make all dvd's this way here:
    J6P DVD Petition
    Thanks.

14. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

There's a couple of DVDs that give you options on which version to watch...the selection screen shows an identical still from each version side by side which shows the difference in the picture. The discs I've seen this screen on was Mad Max and most recently Jet Li's The One. Perhaps when demonstrating them, you can show them this screen and point out the benefits of widescreen to them.

15. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

16. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

As long as I still get a widescreen version of a film on DVD, I really don't care anymore if people understand or appreciate the widecsreen vs P&S issue.
    I reached a point where I became so fed up with explaining that I don't bother anymore when I hear that J6P drivel in stores.
    Just wait until widescreen sets become priced-to-own. That's when these people will start complaining about 4x3 pan and scan transfers.
    Of course, then we'll have to explain why "I Love Lucy" doesn't fill up their 16x9 sets.

17. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Kevin,

Check out our new site Widescreen Advocate. We have some printable materials that could assist you in helping explain widescreen to your customers.

Just click on the sig. below.

-EJ

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I had a good chuckle the other day when I bought the Chinatown DVD. On the box, it says that the movie is presented in widescreen, the black bars are supposed to be there, and that it's not a defect. Which begs the question-do some people actually think that the "black bars" are a defect?

19. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

My Dad is a J6P and he sort of accepts it...

A few days ago, we were having a conversation on MSN Messenger and he told me he was available until 7:55 because The Siege was playing at 8. I told him "I think my friend Daniel has that on DVD [Although I checked and he doesn't], you'll watch it OAR and OSL [That TV broadcast he was gonna watch was P&S and dubbed in french]" and he said "No that's ok, it's the same movie anyway."

Grr J6Ps...

And today, when I went to Future Shop, I saw a lady buying The One in the french packaging (Yeah, in Quebec they are now forced to sell DVDs in french packaging as well) amd was very tempted to tell her how stupid she was because probably the ONLY good thing about The One is the action and good sound and watching it dubbed in french you lose it all and she would probably watch it P&S.

20. Jeff

Jeff Supporting Actor

Dan M is right on the money. Working at a video store, I used to explain widescreen to those who complained about it but now I don't bother anymore. If someone wants to buy a P&S version of a DVD, I keep my mouth shut instead making sure they really want that version.
    Jeff