What's new

Convince me to buy an SVS PB10-ISD. (1 Viewer)

Steve(S)

Grip
I am looking into the SVS PB10-ISD with great interest. My current audio setup consists of a Marantz SR5300 A/V receiver and a pair of Mackie HR824 studio monitors. These speakers are fabulous on their own, with a frequency response of 37hz to 22.5khz +/- 1.5db.

mackie.com/products/hr824/index.html

They have a monsterous low end for there size. Its only when I feed them the lowest power hogging frequencies, turn up the bass knob a little, and turn up the volume dial to way above average listening levels do they start blinking their overload LEDs.

I am perfectly happy with my current speakers and rarely push them, besides I live in a townhouse with neighbors right above me. However, I've tasted the SVS flavor as I purchased a PB12-ISD for my friend, it was insane. It's just hard to justify for my situation, given the fact that my Mackies do such an outstanding job on their own.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
37 Hz is hardly low end bass...get the 'lil SVS sub; it is a true low end reproducer!... ;)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
What size room is this? Looks like the SVS would add another whole octave to your system...that ain't too hard to justify for the price. :)

Eric Hargrove

Stunt Coordinator
It looks like Frank and Jack summed it up pretty well. It is one of those things you think you may not need. That is until you have it. I bought my dad a PB10 and he is just floored at what it does in his pretty large room. He says it is just amazing for music. Like a kid, he's now relistening to his entire CD collection as if he's hearing it for the first time. I can think of no higher praise than that.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
if you don't get the svs, i'm gonna come to your house and beat you in the face with a tire iron. need more convincing?

kevin t

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I agree with Frank, Jack and Eric. 37Hz leaves you missing nearly the entire bottom octave. I have one. I'm quite happy with it.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
John, you mean you don't agree with Kevin's arguement? I thought it was the most, hmmmm, shall we say, 'motivating' one presented :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, Kevin said it first...:laugh:, but I was thinking the same thing.

I'm all for "The beatings will continue until morale improves." :D

CarterT

Grip
Go for it! I have my PB10 set up with some front speakers (JBL S312II) that also have some good bass. The PB10 added a whole new dimension to HT and music. Especially after I relocated it. See copy of recent emails from Tom V. below:

Tom,
I have had my PB10 for a couple of months now and am very pleased. I have tried a few locations with varied results. Currently I am using the sub facing the front speakers, JBL S312II. They are about 7' apart but not sure this is sonically optimal nor does it look all that great. I have tried putting the sub facing the same direction as the S312 but that puts it behind the listener and seems to loose a lot of volume. Aesthetically my ideal location for the PB10 seems to be under a shelf holding my HT gear and next to the S312 but the PB10 would have to turn sideways facing the side of the cabinet. The maximum distance I have is about 6" between the front of the PB10 (grill on) and the cabinet . What do you think of that location and is 6" enough space?
Thanks for the help and good luck with you future projects.
CarterT

Hi T.,
I would try that new location. Six inches of clearance should be plenty. Always be sure to recalibrate the subwoofer with each move…and to experiment with the phase control a little too!
Tom V.
SVS

Thank you Tom for the reply. I moved the PB10 last night... WOW! What a difference. It looks great under the shelf and the sound is so much better. Much more depth and volume. During calibrating, I had to turn it down -4db from the previous setting and it is still louder and deeper. I don't know much about phasing but I experimented with it as you suggested. There is a very noticible difference. All the way "off" produces the least depth and all the way "on" produces much lower, fuller bass.
Thank you again for your suggestions.
CarterT

Hi T.,
The phase control will be marked *0* and *180*. But the important thing is that you have found a good location for the subwoofer (from both an aesthetic and performance perspective) and you have the phase set to provide a good blend with the rest of your speakers..:)
Tom V.
SVS

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only thing to really be concered about is your living quarters. I assure you, in a townhouse the PB10 is not going to make you any friends. Count on it.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LloydM

Agent
Man, I am trying to tell myself that I want to wait and go with the PCI-20-39, but I keep reading these awesome threads about the Pb10. I am replacing a Sony-WM40, so I know that either will be fine over what I have now.

My room is around 12x16 and is open to the hallway and dining area. I do have a corner that I would put the woofer in opposite these open areas. What do you guys think? Should I jump on the Pb10 bandwagon as well?

Lloyd

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:

Man, I am trying to tell myself that I want to wait and go with the PCI-20-39, but I keep reading these awesome threads about the Pb10. I am replacing a Sony-WM40, so I know that either will be fine over what I have now.
__________________________________________________ ________

Lloyd.

What's preventing you from getting the 20-39...money?
This one will get you more output/dynamics, but the 'lil PB10 ought to make you happy just as well. Your call... :)

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

LloydM

Agent
I would not say that money is stopping me, but I would save money with the pb10 over the 20-39. I am just always under the impression that bigger and more money is better, but the pb10 seems to be winning a lot of people over. Makes me wonder if it is worth the extra coin for the 20-39 or not.

I am really waiting to find something on the b-stock or in the used section, but they go fast!

Lloyd

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Lloyd,

From the OEM perspective I'd just say this, the PCi has far more features, practically mirrors the PB10-ISD's FR, and will kick its little box ass (well, it's not that little) ... in a big room where you want more "quantity" to go with your "quality".

(Admin: Can an OEM say "ass" in 2005 in public?)

For small to mid-sized rooms, or where you are not looking to move out due to the neighbors outside your door with torches and pitchforks??

Stick to the PB10-ISD.

If you you can afford a bit more and WANT a bit more, then the PCi is really a no-brainer.

Quantity has a quality all its own sometimes in the audio world.

And you are right. We don't get many returns in the first place so the like new B-stocks barely slow down on their way out to the UPS truck after the factory has finished with the testing and boxing.

Ron

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are concerned about neighbors already, then a 20-39 is only going to make even fewer friends than the PB-10 :D

LloydM

Agent
Thanks guys. An email has been dispatched to the staff at SVS to see what they suggest.

Sorry for jacking your thread Steve... :frowning:

Steve(S)

Grip
No worries, I got the answers I was looking for. Feel free to follow up with your own questions.

50%-75% chance I'll be ordering my PB10-ISD this week. I may add 5% for the tire iron threat. Thanks for the inputs.

Steve(S)

Grip
I do have one last question however. I will be using the subwoofer output from my receiver, it has a fixed 100hz xover frequency. Will I have any issues with this. I'd rather not have to upgrade my receiver to a higher model just to get an adjustable xover frequency.

Thanks,

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, 100hz, is not horrible or anything, but, the sub sill tnd to have some directionality to it, where your really not supposed to be able to tell where the sub is comming from.

Consider using the sub on your speaker outs maybe? Maybe try it both ways to see which you feel is better perhaps??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks