Convince me to buy a Pronto

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Clinton McClure, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    The header says it all.
    I saw one for the first time two days ago at Best Buy. (I'd never looked for them before.) After looking at it for about 5 minutes, I decided it's definately on my upgrade list. Now, all I need is for you guys to help me understand why this remote control is well worth the $200 they're asking.
    Pros/cons, please.
    Thanks. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

2. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

because it's only a 129 at jandr.com ( althougth it says 149 on their website if you call and tell them you saw their flyer for 129 they'll give it to you)

3. Ron Boster

Ron Boster Screenwriter

Please no more "convince me to buy X" threads. [​IMG]

4. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I'd say that's a pretty good reason [​IMG]
    I also have a Pronto TSU1000, and while I haven't really gotten used to it, nor am I fully utilizing its features(currently using a hybrid ccf adapted from some other ccf's I downloaded on the net - hardly a personalized system right now), I can see the potential for a really convenient, powerful and personalized system. I'd say if you are willing to spend a bit of time on customization, it can really go a long way.

5. Bob_Hammond

Bob_Hammond Agent

Go to remotecentral.com and read up on them all.
    I had a pronto, but now use a HTM MX-500. I missed the hard buttons when I had the pronto. I really like the MX-500, it seems to have the right mix of buttons and flexibility.
    Bob

6. Kartal_Guner

Kartal_Guner Extra

7. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Things I really like about the Pronto:
    You have complete freedom to set up any buttons you want with any titles in any configuration. And IMO, the programming is not very hard at all.
    You can set up some very cool macros. I hit one button: The tv turns on, the dvd player starts, the amp turns on, the lights dim, etc., etc.
    You can make it user-friendly for others. My wife hits a button and the tv turns on, and it turns to her favorite channel, and the pronto now gives her a simple layout of buttons to do the things she wants to do.
    Discrete codes! I love these. Instead of an on/off button, you can get an on only or an off only. What does that mean? When I hit a macro to play dvds, and the tv is already on, it stays on. With other remotes, the on signal in the macro would turn the already on tv, off.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

8. Romar Armas

Romar Armas Second Unit

I've had the Pronto for 2 years now and haven't had to touch my 7 system remotes. I want to change my layout but really have no need to. [​IMG]
    Everyone can operate my system rather easily. Before, I would get calls asking "How do I watch DVD?", "How do I listen to music?", "How do I watch VCDs?", etc. With my macros all set up all they have to do is choose between watching or listening. Then they would choose what they would like to watch or listen to. The remote does everything from switching to the right source on the TV, turning on the receiver and switching to the right source and then turning on the proper components.
    After having the pronto, I don't think I can go back. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Romar Armas
    Merrill Lynch Canada
    Database Administrator

9. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

* No more annoying 'how do I watch a movie?' questions from less technically-oriented people if you set up task-based macros. You can hand the person the Pronto and smugly say "Press the button that says 'Watch a Movie.'"
    * Fun to program.
    * Save money on the batteries you don't have to buy for 13 other remote controls.
    * No more hunting for the pause button when the lights are out and the phone rings. Pretty blue backlit display. Or you could do what I do and program the two hard buttons beneath the display for pause and play (for devices like DVD and CD players and VCRs).

10. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

One note. The $129-$149 price from J&R is for a refurbished model 1000. In my humble opinion, a brand new model 2000 for about $100 more is worth the difference for most people. Computer types may not mind programming the 1000, and $129 for a 1000 refurb is a good deal.

11. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Simple, picture a man with size 36 inch arms, 56 inch chest and thighs as thick as small tree trunks is about to knock on your door and ask you YOUZ GONNA BUY A PRONTO RIGHT. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS
    [Edited last by Jerome Grate on November 09, 2001 at 10:52 AM]

12. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

Pros:
    [*] Macros. This is probably the best feature of the Pronto(as well as other remotes). If you’re not familiar with Macro it is a series of commands in a signal button. So now you can have one button to start up your whole system to watch a DVD. Plus the Pronto allows you to have up to 256 commands in a Macro so you can really do “anything”.
    [*] Customization. The fact that you can customize the Pronto to the way you want it to look. If you just want certain buttons for a Device or you want all of the command- The choice is yours. You can also add Pictures from Movies, logos, Channel Station logos or anything else you can think of. You can really give the Pronto a personal touch.
    [*] The Price. I know it seems like a lot but when compared to other touchscreen remotes (AMX, Crestron, etc..) the Pronto is pretty cheap.
    Cons:
    [*] The learning curve on ProntoEdit can be difficult and many people become frustrated with it. There are people that will program the Pronto for you to save you a lot of headache. This is one of the reasons I started doing it.
    [*] Some people don’t like the contrast level on the Pronto so it can be difficult to read the display. I’m pretty sure that the newer models have corrected this problem.
    [*] The lack of Hard buttons. Many people like the tactile feel of Hard Buttons so they don’t have to constantly look down at the screen to see where a button is located. It took me a little while to get used to the touchscreen but once I did, I loved it.
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Andrew V on November 10, 2001 at 03:41 PM]

13. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Clinton,
    I agree with everything already said here, HOWEVER, your post did not mention what kind of Pronto you saw. If it's the new Pronto NEO, it's definitely NOT worth it. 1000's and even 2000's can be had for less and are a much better remote. Look for reviews on all models on remotecentral.com
    Jim L
    Ooops, one exception to the above is if you absolutely, gotta have a hard button cursor, and you're willing to give up a lot a flexibility to get it, then MAYBE the NEO is better.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    It wasn't a NEO, I think it was a 2000. Thanks for all the info. I'll check out the websites and do a little more research, but it seems the 2000 is the way I'm gonna go. Hard buttons are not a "must have" and I really like the LCD touch screen. (I'm a geek, what can I say? [​IMG]) With all the programming flexabilities you guys are throwing at me, it sounds like the only way to go.
    Thanks again! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

15. Jeffrey_Jones

Jeffrey_Jones Second Unit

I am about to turn myself into a big hypocrite with this post. I recently wrote a glowing review of the Pronto TSU-2000 and told everyone in the world to buy one.
    I still agree with everything I said but I am returning mine. It turns out that my new receiver, the Onkyo 898, comes with a remote that will do everything I need it to. The Pronto is more difficult to use then a standard remote, the programming is more labor intensive but much more powerful.
    It all comes down to perceived value. The cool factor of the Pronto is almost worth the price of entry...almost. If my receiver's remote didn't do the job I would certainly keep the Pronto. The remote I buy in a year or two will be that much better.
    Thanks,
    Jeff

16. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

quote: Discrete codes! I love these. Instead of an on/off button, you can get an on only or an off only. What does that mean? When I hit a macro to play dvds, and the tv is already on, it stays on. With other remotes, the on signal in the macro would turn the already on tv, off.[/quote]
    George, Could you tell me more about the discrete codes? I find it a total PITA to try and find anchors for making macros work with my Denon remote when some of the system is already on.
    Also what do you guys know/think about the Proton SRC 2000? I think it is sold under another name now. 8 hard buttons and a PC configurable LCD.
    Edit: I think it is the UCommand 616 now.
    ------------------
    Luke
    [Edited last by Luke_Y on November 09, 2001 at 07:13 PM]

17. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

Discrete codes are most important when using them in a Macro. Let's say you have a Macro that has a command to turn on your TV. If your TV only has a toggle button then the Macro will just reverse the current state of the TV(if it's ON it will be turned OFF and if it's OFF it will be turned ON). Now a discrete code comes in handy since it allows you to have two separate buttons for ON and OFF. So if you want to turn the TV ON and it's already ON then it will stay ON.
    ------------------
    ~Andrew~
    ~Pronto Programmer~
    AIM SN: FFU Productions
    ICQ #: 21603991
    Home Theater Pictures
    Equipment List | My Growing DVD Collection
    [Edited last by Andrew V on November 10, 2001 at 03:44 PM]

18. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Andrew answered your question well. I'll just add that you may wonder how you can get the discrete codes when your remote only has a toggle on/off. Well, another great thing about the pronto is that not only is it a universal learner (you can transfer a code from any other remote*), but you can go to remotecentral.com and find lots of other codes, such as the discrete ones.
    *- actually there are some remote codes that the pronto can't learn, for example because they are an unusually high frequency, but then again, almost no universal remotes would be able to learn those. And they're very rare. However, you might want to visit remotecentral before you buy to check out if there's any codes for your equipment that don't exist.
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

19. Jim Lenneman

Jim Lenneman Stunt Coordinator

Luke,
    Even if your gear doesn't have discrete codes, you can sometimes find a work around. Some receivers will turn on if you hit vol+ or vol- (this would turn the gear on if it's off but not turn it off if it's on). Some TV's will automatically go to input - Video 1 if you hit channel up or down giving you a discrete code workaround for selecting Video 1. I've had to use workarounds like this for both my TV and my SVHS Panasonic VCR.
    Jim L

20. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Thanks guys, maybe there will be one of the cheaper Pronto remotes in my future.
    Jim, yep these are the PITA anchors I was referring to [​IMG] Seems I can never get them to work just right.
    ------------------
    Luke