Convince me NOT to get a Sony 885DE

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Carson, Feb 6, 2003.

1. John Carson

John Carson Agent

I like Home theater, but do not have the budget to go big time. I like having all my components the same brand, and am upgrading from a Toshiba 6109C all-in-one DVD / Receiver. Is this a decent choice?

Everyone seems to bash these DE series, but I can not find any hard facts as to why they are bad.

I currently have the Sony SA-VE525 speakers and want a little more power.

2. greggor

greggor Second Unit

Greg
    John,

I use to own the DE925 reciever. Generally speaking the Sony DE recievers lack the build quality and reliability of their DB and ES recievers. The power ratings of these recievers is also very much exagerrated. I owned my DE925 for about 1 year and had several problems with it. Shortly after purchasing it the subwoofer output stopped working. The unit was quickly replaced. With my second unit the surround speaker outputs started to fail.

I have since upgraded to a Sony ES reciever. The sound quality is much better as well as the build quality. Reliabiltiy wise the reciever has been flawless with the exception of the remote which just stopped working after 2 years. In all fairness though the remote was dropped numerous times.

Hope this helps,

Greg

3. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

4. John Carson

John Carson Agent

I see a LOT of these type posts ^^^^^^^^.

Can ANYONE point me to a site with some HARD data about these? (Tested output, tested clarity (ie signal response) etc..) It seems to be the general consesus here, but I would like to see the facts, and not opinions.

Can ANYONE point to some HARD DATA why these DE receivers are so bad?

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    What hard data do you need? Your EARS should tell the whole story. Go to a store, and compare them to other receivers. No better hard data than that. I think Jeremy summed it up pretty well: to hit the price point, they skimp on the components, with the result being a very average line of budget receivers. I understand not everyone needs a spectacular receiver, but wouldn't you prefer to get the most for your money?

You asked if it was a good choice, your question was answered: NO. Will it be better than what you have? Yes. Will it be the best use of your money? Probably not, but it is your money.

6. John Carson

John Carson Agent

How about the Yamaha HTR-5540? Its similarly priced.

7. JeremyFr

The Yamaha will walk all over the Sony I used to sell both lines and I would always lean someone to a Yamaha at the same price point then the person would of course go "but its 25 watts less per channel why do you recommend it" then I'd play both on the same set of speakers and show them and they proceed to say "oooooooooooohhh" and guess what 9 out of 10 would take the Yamaha.

8. Dom P.

Dom P. Stunt Coordinator

I think the Pioneer VSX line seems to be a pretty good "budget" Receiver.. I have one and have been very happy with the performance/reliability/value.

Good luck with your choice [​IMG]

9. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Here's one link to show Sony's rated vs actual power output.
    http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

I would also avoid Sony receiver's unless it's from the ES line. One of the best budget receivers out right now is the Pioneer VSX-D811S, it can be found on the net for around $300.

10. JeremyFr

My god I knew it was bad but not that bad jesus and that is a pretty high end model a 1050 was not exactly bargain basement Sony 31 watts per channel that is quite sad. And I see Yamaha faired quite well in that though as did Onkyo and HK.

11. John Carson

John Carson Agent

Thanks Frank! This is the kind of thing I was looking for. I get sick of opinions. Too many people hop on a bandwagon, but this one is warranted. [​IMG]

12. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

If your looking for a low priced receiver I would say go with the Panasonic SA-HE100 which can be had for under $250 It can decode all the latest sound formats & it has a built in amp for the rear center speaker. When S&V tested it they rated the watts as 78 for all 5 channels driven & 70 watts for 6 channels driven. I would say the next step up would be the Pioneer 811 which goes for under $300. If your looking for sound quality than go with a Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo. But again, if you want all the new sound formats & a receiver with excellent noise ratings take a look at the Panasonic. For pictures & specs go to www.crutchfield.com but their prices are on the high side.

13. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Let's see, you want to be convinced not to buy that particular receiver. Well other than perhaps starting a receiver fund and socking away all your change for a while, how's about I make you an offer you can't refuse?
    If you buy that receiver, I'll publish pictures of you, taken by surveillance satellite performing unnatural acts with this.
    [​IMG]

14. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

OK, Chu, what did you do with the other leg ? 8^)

"Just the facts, Mam" ...

BOK

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Why not buy it and something similarly-priced from a place that has a decent return policy and A/B compare them at home? Opinions, tests... Neither are a substitute for your listening experience.

The Sony DE stuff is a real whipping-boy around here. But, in certain non-critical applications, these units have their place. I have a 2ES in my HT, a 4ES in my office and a DE835 in my home office, connected to a computer. Does the 835 stack up to the others? No. Does it do a decent job in that setting? Yes.

16. MichaelMOS

MichaelMOS Agent

If you are willing to wait, pioneer released new models at CES that come out in march.

17. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

18. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I had a DE series prologic receiver and I didnt know what I was missing until I replaced it with a Technics receiver and it almost seemed like someone took off the sock from over my speakers. Are you convinced now?

19. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter