What's new

Convice me please! (1 Viewer)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I want to buy a HD WS RPTV.

I have a choice of the Sony's, Hitachi's, The new Panny 53" and the new JVC.

I can get them all at cost. I'm leaning towards the Panny because of reviews here. I know it will not look the best out of the box but I can work on that. The panny would cost ~1200. The smaller 51 Sony is a few hundred more, same with Hitachi's. Just wondering if it's worth it to spend a few hundred more to get a 2" smaller screen but it be a Sony or Hitachi. Is the picture quality on the Sony and Hitachi any better? In the "showroom" the Sony looks a little better than the Hitachi, and both look better than the Panny. But from everything I've read the Panny can look just as good. Opinions please!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
All these sets can be made to look very similar, when one makes adjustments from the service menus.

But if the Sony looks the best to you, why not go with it? (The Panasonic PT-47 is a fine set, though. And at $1,200, it's a steal.)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
The Panny I was talking about is the new PT53, not the 47. I just have heard everyone say that showrooms are not the best examples of what the tv can really look like. The Sony just happens to look the best out of the 4 on the showroom.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Having had the Hitachi and the Sony in my home, I can attest to the fact that the Sony is much better out of the box needing only an AVIA calibration to put out a nice picture indeed. It's also quite easy to tweak.

It's stretch modes and line doubling are better than Hitachi's also. I have no experience with the Panny, so can't really comment on it.

The color decoder can be adjusted to totally eliminate red push in the service menu, and SVM can be adjusted or turned off in the menu without clipping or disconnecting any wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks