What's new

Converting vga output to ntsc tv (1 Viewer)

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Hi, I just put together a new pc with a dvd burner. I decided to also add a winfast 200xp tv tuner card so I could capture my laserdisc collection and burn it to dvd. After toying around with the tuner card I discovered it makes a decent digital video recorder with similar functions to a tivo. I would like to be able to view the tv tuner output on my tv and use it as a dvr. What would be the best method to viewing my computer on my tv keeping in mind that the main thing I would be watching is ntsc video from the winfast card. Can you think of any low cost solutions out there?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
well, one route would be to purchase a new graphics card that comes with a TV out. quality will of course vary with what card you get.

or you can look into buying a VGA-to-RCA converter:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...rter&scoring=p

or you could go the route I did when I was in the college dorms and buy a large monitor and use your computer as your TV.

best route is of course dependant on your needs and desires.

Michael_-==+

Auditioning
if you have an hdtv go to ati.com and look in their accessories section there is a vga to component video converter for $30

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I don't have component inputs on my tv, only s-video or composite. The vga to rca converter, has anyone used it? I know many of these devices are not designed with video in mind, so video comes out looking blocky. If there is no solution in the under 70 dollar range that produces the same quality as my cable, I'll forgoe trying to output it to my tv and just record to dvd+rw.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
michael........ does this work????????????

Have you used the VGA to comp cable? Ive been messing around with Powerstrip for over a dam month and havent been able to hook up my Pc via VGA to VGA in on my HDTV and no luck. Its always out of sync and flashing.

this would rock and I would buy it today if I knew it would work.

Matt Weyen

Stunt Coordinator
You have to own a Radeon 8500 or greater for the vga to component adapter to work, otherwise you need a transcoder which is what I use. Check out Key Digital's transcoders, it's what I own and it works flawlessly.

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
Dave,

all you need is powerstrip to set the signal timing to something your TV can accept.

Benson,

a video card with built-in TV-out will be your best bet. Any external VGA->NTSC converter south of $300 is going to disappoint you. Neither will look as good as recording off cable/sat directly to dvd-rw though.

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
matt, not to hijack this thread but Ive tried and tweaked and messed with powerstrip. I CANNOT get the timings right for my 1080i or even 480p. I went to AVS forum and read the guide and how to........ no luck :frowning:
(by the way, i have a RCA D36120 tube HDTV.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks