Converting to NTFS in Windows XP. Insufficient memory? WTF?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasenP, Feb 25, 2002.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    OK, It all started when I was installing a second HD in my PC which led to a bigger case, which then led to a new MOBO, new Processor, and DDR RAM. which leads to $$$$.

Anyway here are my NEW system specs:

MSI MOBO

AMD 1700+ Processor

Maxtor 80gb 5400rpm HD (Primary master) ATA 100 (Now FAT32)

Maxtor 13.5gb 5400 rpm ATA 66 (secondary slave) (NTFS)

Philips CD-R/RW (secondary master)

256mb DDR RAM 2100

When I attempt to convert the new 80gb drive to NTFS after rebooting it says I have insufficient memory and can't convert it. Isn't 256mb of DDR RAM enough to convert FAT32 to NTFS? Any ideas?

2. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

JasenP,

Are you using Win2K, XP, or earlier version of NT?

Also, are you sure it said memory and wasn't referring to drive space? What command were you using to initiate the convert?

I'm trying to look this up for you, I think a little more info might help. Any chance there's an error code displayed?

-Brett.

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I am running XP pro and it was installed over 98SE so the it's FAT32.

In the command line it goes something like this - conv C: /fs NTFS

It can't unmount the drive so it asks me if I want to perform this function after I reboot, I say yes and reboot. It runs chkdisk and everything comes up fine but when it prepares to convert from FAT32 to NTFS it comes up with the error "Insufficient Memory"

I suspect it has something to do with the size of the drive (80gb) and I only have it partitioned as an 80gb drive.

4. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

The command is:

convert C: /FS:NTFS

Try doing a CHKDSK /F on the drive before you convert. If there are errors in the file system, the conversion may not work.

5. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    When I actually did the conversion I cut and pasted the exact command from Windows help, I am not at home right now so I was paraphrasing it. [​IMG]
    XP automatically runs chkdsk before it attempts to convert, or is that switch in your command important?

6. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Jasen -

I would issue a CHKDSK C: /F /R command and reboot first. Watch for any errors. The /F switch tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds. Look and see if there are bad sectors. Microsoft's Knowledge Base mentions that a CONVERT can fail if there are bad sectors on the hard disk, in certain regions where NTFS data must reside.

Then do the CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS command afterward. If the disk is clean, you should be able to convert the file system.

Are you getting an "out of memory" or "insufficient disk space" error? The "insufficient disk space" error can be caused by bad sectors on the disk, or a hard disk that is close to full. You probably need about 10-20% free space to make the switch successfully.

Also make sure you set up your hard drive in the BIOS to use LBA mode, not the "small" or "large" mode. LBA is required to work reliably with drives of this size.

7. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Well, last night I ran CHKDSK C: /F /R and there is absoulutely no problems with the hard drive itself but it still wouldn't covert to NTFS.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? This is especially aggrivating after all the $$$ I have put into my new system!!!

8. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

9. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

10. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I ended up just reinstalling the whole $%*&ing thing and formatting using the fresh install. Oh Well, nightmare is now over. [​IMG]