Converting Sonotube to conventional enclosure

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kevin Beck, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,..It's been a while, but I have a new dilemma. I need to convert my 480 liter dual Tempest Sono to a 480 liter conventional enclosure. The plan is to build it into what looks like an audio cabinet, only with a sub top and bottom, hidden, so to speak,like the Sono, with a matching cabinet on the other side of the display that really is an audio cabinet. At this point I have a Dan Wiggins recommended 24" tube, 72" tall, 83" over all with end plates, capped with 1 1/2" plates, and loaded with one Tempest, and one 6" x 20" port on each end. Powered by a pair of 250 watt plate amps from Parts Express. Sounds great.
    Has anybody done this? Adire likes a lot of bracing in their recommended enclosures. That makes good sense, but good lord, and enclosure of this size would have more bracing on the inside than you could shake a stick at. I don't even have the old program I use to use for car audio on my computer any more, in order to figure volumes. Would anybody like to take a stab at figuring what dimensions and bracing it would take to match the 480 liter Sono? The height of the unit would be the only critical dimension. I have a Mits WS 6519. It sets at 61". There would need to be room for the center on top of that. Looks like 72" over all height would be around the minimum. Dummy panels and such may be in order to make things look symmetric. I plan on doing a bridge and crown to connect the two sides as well. Any help on the sub enclosure would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

A 72" tall box would be about 22"x22" without bracing. With bracing, I'd guess 25"x25". I recommend you go to the hardware store and try to lift 3-4 sheets of 4'x8' MDF before you decide on building the box...

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

And when you're done with that I need help moving my pool table.