Converting Snappers to Keepers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_Are, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I'm planning on ditching all my snapper cases in favor of the overwhelmingly preferable keep case. Here's my strategy: I will remove the cardboard front/spine/back images of the snapper, scan it, print it in hi-rez, trim it, then slide my copied image into a nice new keep case. I'm sure others have done this, so I will ask some general questions...
    Where can I buy 'blank' keep cases? Is there an online retailer, or what sort of local store would stock these? Is Amaray preferable to Alpha or are they comparable? Any tips or suggestions from one who does this are appreciated.
    Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, Wizard of Oz, The Green Mile...all rescued from the clutches of the nasty, nasty crapper case...first I work on this project, then world peace.
    Jon
    ------------------
    "This one goes to eleven." (Nigel Tufnel)

2. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

3. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

You can buy replacement keep cases at many retailers now. Circuit City, Babbages, Electronics Boutique, and even Wal-Mart sell them.
    Hopefully someday Warner will stop using snappers and use keep cases like the rest of the industry. Until that day we'll just have to resign ourselves to the fact that America Online discs get better treatment than films like Citizen Kane.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jon,
    I converted all my snappers, and you can find the new covers (along with some others) at www.realitycrash.com/dvdcovers.htm in gallery 4.
    I suggest scanning at 300dpi. the dimensions for a keepcase cover are 10x75 x 7.25. the front and back are 5.08" wide, and the spine is .587" wide, centered between the front and back.
    if you have any other questions feel free to post and/or drop me an email
    -Matt
    ------------------
    My DVD collection

5. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

While we're at it: Is there somewhere you can buy snapper frames? I have a couple of broken ones.
    --Anders
    ------------------
    http://www.dvd1138.com/
    Ob me Deus cavet

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Actually, from what I hear Warner has gone 2 disc with Dr. Zhivago and Citizen Kane, and are using "Fight Club" style packaging instead. I'm guessing that HT enthusiasts are not the only ones to express displeasure in the whole DVD-18 thing, and they can still theoretically use snapper trays in that kind of case(a la From the Earth to the Moon)
    Jeff Kleist

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Matt, that is an amazing original cover for Jurassic Park. WAAAAAY better than the one Universal decided to go with. I will definitely be heading to best buy today to get a new ink cartridge for my printer to print that baby out!!!
    I also like the others you have listed too. I need to replace my snappers with Keepcases.
    For those of you still looking for Keepcases, go to your local Circuit City, and they have free AOL discs that come in keepcases. The two by me have a whole endcap full of them and I usually grab 4 or 5 each time I go in there.

8. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

I love that Superman cover!! I will definaltely print that puppy up. I will have to put the old one up on a display shelf as it is autographed by Richard Donner. [​IMG]

9. Robyn Young

Robyn Young Stunt Coordinator

I was at Hollywood video yesterday, chatting with the manager(actually, I started working there part time the other day, so I was asking some questions). HV usually gets the dvds already boxed for rental, with these box covers that don't have any artwork. Then, when they are placed on the shelf, they have a snapper or original case in front of them. It's a pain in the ass to put them back, so I asked why they couldn't just have the artwork in them, so when we restocked, they could just go in the front rather than behind the box.
    Well, it appears that starting with this new bunch of releases, there is an actual Alpha insert that matches the snapper in almost every way in the cases that are shipped to the stores. Then, when they get ready to sell them as previously viewed, they will be throwing away these inserts, sending back the cases and putting the dvd back in the snapper case. I saw the ones for Joe Dirt and See Spot Run, and they looked just like the snapper!
    Sooooooo, if you go in and ask nicely, they might be able to save you an insert when they do thier ppv thing. Again, this is only for new releases, but it is my impression that this will be standard in the future.
    I think I'm going to ask the manager just to hold the ones in my store for me, since it appears that all they will do is throw them away, if for no other reason then to simply prevent them from pitching them while I'm not working.
    I'm not particularly interested in converting my cases, just because I don't have the storage(to keep the snappers as well, since I do want to keep the original packaging), but at least for those who want a keepcase, this is one super-easy way to get a pre-made insert for one.
    robyn

10. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    What kind of color printer do you suggest using?
    what kind of paper do you suggest?
    I have a HP color printer[​IMG]eskjet 400
    ------------------

11. Wes Ray

Wes Ray Supporting Actor

But what if we want to convert keepers to snappers?
    hehe. [​IMG]

12. John Ford

John Ford Guest

I would also like to know what kind of paper you recommend. Also, when you scan the cover, what do you do about the info on the inside front cover ie. The Cell and Matrix.
    johnf

13. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    John Ford,
    For the info on the inside cover, you have to scan in and make a seperate cover insert.
    Please anybody John F. and I want to know what paper to use, and type of printer [​IMG]
    ------------------

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I agree with Frank, iNETDVD.COM is the place to go. While I keep my DVDs in their original cases (snappers or otherwise), my fledgling VCD collection came in jewel cases, which I can't stand, so I replaced them all with keep cases. Good luck.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

15. Greg O' Connel

Greg O' Connel Stunt Coordinator

Regular printer paper will work, but I'd recommend using cover weight paper, otherwise it's very difficult to slide into the keepcase. You can find it at Staples or any office supply store. Look for "85 lb cover stock" or words to that effect.
    I have a cheap Lexmark Z52 inkjet printer, and it does a good job. Just make sure you select the highest resolution on your options menu. The highest mine will go is 2400x1200 dpi, and it looks nearly perfect.
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "Columbia House - we were built to irritate America - one person at a time!" [​IMG]

16. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Looks like my deskjet printer won't work. And I might have to buy a inkjet printer.
    ------------------

17. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

I use a Canon S800 Bubblejet printer with Canon Glossy photo paper. The paper is a bit expensive ($10-$12 for 20 sheets) but the results are truly amazing. You'd swear the covers were professionally printed.
    The Canon S800 is just about the best inkjet photo printer I've seen. The results rival all but the best laserjets. I got mine at Best Buy for about $300.00.

18. Jeff Hansman

Jeff Hansman Extra

I've converted about 20 of my titles from snapper to keepers, using Epson's glossy photo quality paper. It's pretty heavy, but prints like a dream on my Epson printer. If there is one near you, Costco carries this paper in 100 sheet packs for about $22. Also, check at your local Circuit City; the have (had?) free AOL CDs in keeper cases. I scored about 10 of these over 3 or 4 visits.

19. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Bringing this back up, slap me if I've missed this... how do I actually go about removing the cardboard part of a snapper case (to scan) without destroying it? Is there some sort of release or something? Thanks!

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There's little lips at the top and bottom of the back, pry them loose